BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

09 fishing

Go down 
+12
radish
T.C.
jerseycat9
sqrlhntr
newfie2007
Muskyman
saltfisher1
North Star
bluegill
OhioFisher
marlboro920
catfish willy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

09 fishing - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 pm

For some size reference in the pictures above I am 6 foot 3, 200 pounds, and a size 14 shoe. Tonight was a pretty good night. I caught about 4 or 5 bass on a buzz bait between 2 and 4 pounds. I had pulled the hook on another that would've probably weighed 4 pounds. When I fish across ther oad I feel like a musky fisherman. I cast and cast just waiting on that one bite but once that fog started rolling in and I started throwing a buzzbait they started biting like crazy. After I caught the 4 or 5 bass and pulled the hook on the other one I was fishing off the dam and thought I was casting past a point that had a downed tree off the front of it. It was so foggy I couldn't see exactly where I was casting too. couldn't see nothing but I would hear the whip of the rod, the whizz of the buzzbait flying through the air, and then the muffled wistle of the buzzbait sliding across the top of the water. Again and again it was the same thing every cast until finally I heard something different. It was the explosive bite of a bass inhaling the buzzbait. Fishing a buzzbait I can't wait to feel the fish. When I see or hear the fish blow up I can't help but set the hook. This time was no exception and I set the hook as soon as I heard it blow up. When I set the hook I knew immedietly that it was good fish, probably nicer than any I have caught this year. After about 30 seconds of fighting the fish it just stopped and for a minute it just sit there with very little give. I thought it had me in a snag. I heard it start splashing again and I guess it was caught in the tree but it came out. I fought it all the way back to the dam where I was fishing. On both sides of me there is a line of cat tails and I knew that they were my best chance of losing this fish so I tried to fight it out farther and in deeper water (I'm using a 7 foot medium action spinning reelw ith 6 pound test). After about 3 or 4 minutes of fighting the fish it was up in the corner closer to me and to the right of where I hooked it. There are some trees haning over to water and I wasn't worried about them. I was worried though about the cattails in there and once he got in them there was nothing I could do but hold pressure and hope the line didn't break. The line never broke but I did pull the hook. This old rock quarry has some nice bass. The biggest I have ever caught out of there was 6 pounds but I have hooked 2 that were way bigger. Between the 2 I hooked and the monster swirls I have seen I wouldn't be surprised at all the see this pond produce a 10 pound bass.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 8:17 am

Sounds like you had a great time fishing last night, Willy! Sorry to hear about you pulling the hook out of it's mouth..... You riplipper you lmaoooo!~! Great report! I'm sure that the fishing will be turned on here soon too, as the weather is turning cooler out.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks Peg. They have deffinetly turned on. I could only make it out for an hour today but I missed one and caught one on live gills. The one I caught was a little bigger than both my shoes together so it was in the 29-30 inch range. Other I'm not sure about because I never felt it. I wish I knew of some good falthead spots on the river. They should start biting like crazy before too long.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 9:34 pm

My cousin Jake came over and we tried again. First we went to the old rock quarry to get bait. First throw of the net got half a dozen gills and a couple throws later a huge crappie. I thought it was a bass until I ent to pull it out of the net. I took it straight to Danny's so no measure or weight (we had nothing to put him in and I did want to keep him out of water any longer that I needed to). I would say that this crappie was atleast 16-17 inches long and might of been my biggest crappie if I had caught it on a rod and reel. My biggest crappie is 17 1/2 inches but it was really thin unlike this one. That crappie was extremely tall and thick. Anyway after we put it in Danny's we went back for a few more gills. Right off the bat Jake caught a 27ish inch channel on my bluegill pole off of a bluegill head. It did the same thing as the one this morning did. He kept picking at it but once he took it there wasn't no looking back! I was getting a bite on my reel I got from ridge when we heard the drag peeling off my little stealth. Fought it for a few minutes and got it up. Decent fish with a big attitude. I let the penn reel sit for a minute hoping the fish would come back. It did a few minutes later but it was holding it just under the water and creeping towards the dam. I missed. In the message I sent to ridge i thought it was a bass but after thinking about it for a minute I think it was a big turtle. There was a bunch of bubbles blowing up before and after I set the hook.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 10:04 am

Glad you had a great time!~! Yes, the bite should be turning on here too, as it's really starting to cool down and the leaves are turning colors... Hopefully will be able to get out and do some fishing here within the next couple weeks, as after that, it's going to be too cold to do much of anything outside for me. Congrats on the fish Jake!~! Thanks for the great report, Willy!~! 09 fishing - Page 16 979382 09 fishing - Page 16 264358 09 fishing - Page 16 989950
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:10 am

sounds like fun.
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Great report Willy
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks Andrew, Greg, and Peg.You said you are moving back closer to where you grew up at right Greg? If so did you know of any good freshwater holes at? When I got up today I was expecting the fish to be biting like crazy because ofa ll the rain and how cool it was today. Expecting that me and Jake caught 4 dozen little bluegill and 1 dozen big gills. One bite that Jake had for a little bit before it just came unbuttoned.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:08 am

Sorry that your fishing trip wasn't as good yesterday as it has been. They will be going into a feeding frenzy here soon and you will do great again! Thanks for the report, Willy. We always look forward to reading them!~!
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:17 am

theres alot of freshwater holes just north of the beach....if I were going after cats I would go to blackwater, perdido or styx river.....for bream I would go to maurice creek...hollinger creek....magnolia river...fish river...or negro branch.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

It is still up in the air right now but I might be gone next week. I'm hopeing to take a trip south to do some fishing and possibly wild boar hunting. I will let you guys know between tomorrow and after next week.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:31 pm

sounds like a fun trip willy, have a great time for sure. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am

Hope you have a great time and get a big boar, as well as some good fishing! Looking forward to reading that report for sure!~! Be safe on your trip!~!
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 5:18 pm

My grandma said she would take me if I really wanted to go but she didn't exactly feel like going so I told her we didn't have to go. I will just be fishing around here for fall break. Might do some hunting as well. Last night I only seen 4 big does but the night before I seen 12 but two being nice bucks. One is my 8 pointer that is right at his ears so he is probably about 15 inches wide with decent mass and decent tine length. The other one I think is the big buck I seen earlier in the year. It was right at dark and he was standing broadside at about 300 yards. I can't tell if he was a really big 8 pointer or a big 10. He has good mass and carries it all the way out with some tall tines. I couldn't tell how wide he was because I left when some of the does started getting closer and I didn't want to spook them all. Hopefully pics to come in the next few months of me holding a tall heavy 8-10 pointer!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:10 am

Sounds like your all set for the deer hunting mode, our bow hunting is started also but im waiting till gun. cheers
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:55 am

I think today is the last day for our bow season. Ours started on Sept. 26th.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 11:48 am

Our bow season started on the 15th I think. It stays in until January. I was going to buy a bow but UI found a heck of a deal on a crossbow (100 dollars) so I bought it. It was alot cheaper than any bows I had seen. I am waiting until rifle season to start killing does but I am going to start around hunting when it gets cold and stas cold.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Good luck...Take plenty of pics.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Glad to hear you hit a deal on the crossbow. We're not allowed to use rifles in Ohio during deer season. I think it's stupid, but that's the law. Hopefully some day they will change that. Good luck on hunting, Willy!~! Keep us updated on the hunts and fishing!~!
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Good Luck Willy.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks Greg, Peg, and Andrew. Next weekend will probably be the first weekend I hunt. I have been catching a few bass in the rock quarry but not much. Nothing big. The biggest was only about 3 pounds.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Atleast you were fishin....I have not been in over a week because of ear infection and now we are in the new house getting stuff setup...I might get to fish in a day or two hopefully...PS....hijacking some free internet....No tables or chairs yet..just a mattress and a TV.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Sorry I have been gone for so long. Saturday morning I drove all the way out to carrol county to find a big ford sitting in the drive way to Paul's farm. I knew it was Darcy's truck but I knew he would have his son with him so we came back home since it is only 60 acres and we weren't sure where Darcy was hunting at. I figured I would ride across the road to Frankies but on the way there I seen some orange in the tree 300 yards away in between me and my stand. After I got some breakfast I heading back out to Paul's farm to get a stand because I talked to Joe. Joe is a farmer that lives about 15 minutes from here. His farm is completley open except for a few hollers. The corn was still standing though. We usually don't see much on this farm until people start jumping deer up or in the rut when they are moving. The golf course this farm backs up to has some big deer staying in it too. Anyway he told us we could hunt on his 160 acre farm. On the way out we weret alking to his brother and he told us he leased the farm he told us about last year that had a ton of deer on it and we have the huntings rights to it but he couldn't get a hold of us. Saturday night I seen two does well within range of my muzzleloader but I passed two waiting for a buck. All day Sunday I didn't see a thing. I went across the road late Saturday morning and caught two bass along an underwater rock ledge fishing a jig. Neither of them very big but probably one of the last few I catch this year.

09 fishing - Page 16 02076

09 fishing - Page 16 02077
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Some nice looking fish willy congrats, hope you get your deer buddy sounds like your seeing them. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 16 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

09 fishing
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next