BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

09 fishing

Go down 
+12
radish
T.C.
jerseycat9
sqrlhntr
newfie2007
Muskyman
saltfisher1
North Star
bluegill
OhioFisher
marlboro920
catfish willy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

09 fishing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Yep yep it does, that's for sure! cheers
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm

I went fishing at Lake Jericho again today. I was going to try and catch some carp but they are all ready spawning. I did catch a bunch of bullheads though. I even caught a bunch of them on corn. Sorry, no pics. I didn't want to take any pics of little bullheads with my new haircut.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am

Bullheads are always fun to catch, they are the only fish that i will only eat in the winter or early spring and time after that i won't eat them because they get muddy tasting.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
newfie2007
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
newfie2007

Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:09 am

Nice fish
Back to top Go down
http://world-of-outdoors.canadian-forum.com/
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks guys. Bullheads are real fun to catch when you can go catch hundreds of them in a day. Next time I go to Lake Jericho I need some treble hooks so I can make them carp bite. I am getting ready to go do some catfishing. I hope to cats are biting better than the bluegill. 2 hours on the bank and only 1 bluegill. Turtles were out everywhere. I seen 3 and caught one with my hands were the pond was over flowing. One was 7 or 8 pounds, one was 20 or so, and one was a solid 40+. Made me wish I had a catfish pole so I could catch him. Forgot to add that last year in 3 runs of 3 lines yielded 9 turtles. I though it was pretty good if you have a turtle on every line all 3 times I ran them.

Last edited by catfish willy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 pm

I am 0 and 2 so far this year on big fish. I decided to go over to Trent's and try to catch that 40+ pound turtle I seen. Never seen him, but I did see one of the smaller ones. I did catch three more bluegill while I was there and I used the one I caught earlier. After 30-45 minutes of not even seeing the big one I headed off to the old rock quarry. I knew I could catch a nice one there. The weeds have taken over most of the pond but there are some clear spots. My plan was to cast out cut bluegill on 5/0 trot line hooks with no weight besides that thick hook. I got set up and it wasn't long before I started getting some hits on one of my poles. Pretty soft bites so I pretty much knew it was a turtle. I was waiting for it to start swimming off when all of a sudden my other reel starts screaming. I pick it up and set the hook. My new 6600d6 is pretty much a pretty big bass reel so it only has 8 pounds of drag. Because of that I only use 17 pound test on it. I fought him for a couple minutes when He got to those weeds that have pretty much taken over the pond. I was pretty confident that if I held pressure on him that it would eventually come loose. Eventually he started coming in a little when he took another run peeling off about 15-20 foot of line before he stopped again. I gained the line back and he was stuck in the weeds again. Like before I kept steady pressure on him. Finally he came through the weeds and started running towards me for a little bit and then turned back around. He turned off to the right and headed for deeper and open water. I stopped him and he turned back left a little and started swimming away towards the other corner. That corner is the one of the few places with snags. The owner said there is atleast one huge rock and atleast one big tree. The fish got me wrapped up in there but I could still feel him pulling away. I guess the line frayed too much because he broke it. I am still pumped up about it because even though I missed him I will definitely be back late this summer to early winter when those weeds go away. Next time I go to catch turtles I am definitely taking some of my big cat poles instead of my little channel poles. A little while later I was getting some more small bites that I knew was a turtle. I waited until it started swiming away good and set the hook hard. Thankfully I didn't have to horse this turtles through the weeds because he weighed in at 32 pounds. Probably 20-25 minutes after that my 6600 went off again but it wasn't screaming like last time. I set the hook and I knew it wasn't as big as the one I hooked earlier, but I knew it still was not a bad fish. After a 4-5 minutes fight I had him at the point I was fishing and scooped him up. 13 pound channel isn't too bad but nothing like the one I hooked earlier.

Last edited by catfish willy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 6:15 pm

I Forgot to add that I caught a 32 pound snapper and big channel that was just under 13 pounds.
Back to top Go down
sqrlhntr
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
sqrlhntr

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Sounds like you are having a pretty good start to the year. cheers
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks! I can't complain much. I as fishing this morning for about 2 hours. I couldn't get the fish to bite but I caught 5 in about 15 minutes. 2 little ones (about 14 inches) and 3 nice ones (7 1/2 pounds to 12 pounds). Sorry no pictures because Mom took the camera with her.
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Keep them coming Willy always good to see your reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:18 pm

jerseycat9 wrote:
Keep them coming Willy always good to see your reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree Terry, between you to this year you guy's have been doing all the catching. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks guys! I went back last night right before dark and was there for about 20 minutes when I caught a 28 inch channel (I left the scale at the house but he was the size of both of my size 14 shoes put together). It was probably 7 pounds or so. I went back this morning before I had to get ready to go to my grandma's. I only had one bite that I thought was a pretty good fish. I had just casted my other pole out and was sinking the line when my other bobber went down. It sit just under the water for a second before it started swimming off just under the surface. I set the hook and missed. Oh well. These fish won't go anywhere.
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 am

wtg willie ur doing good so far ....keep it up !!!!! cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 am

catfish willy wrote:
Thanks guys! I went back last night right before dark and was there for about 20 minutes when I caught a 28 inch channel (I left the scale at the house but he was the size of both of my size 14 shoes put together). It was probably 7 pounds or so. I went back this morning before I had to get ready to go to my grandma's. I only had one bite that I thought was a pretty good fish. I had just casted my other pole out and was sinking the line when my other bobber went down. It sit just under the water for a second before it started swimming off just under the surface. I set the hook and missed. Oh well. These fish won't go anywhere.
Dont worry Willy it happens to the best of us buddy. I had a giant snatch up a 14inch shad last night I had livelined out the back of the boat and rip off 20yards of line and then mysteriously my hook and stinger hook just came free and all I had to show for it was an empty hollow feeling in my stomach pale
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm

It is not the worlds best feeling when you know you just missed a huge fish. Since mine was in Danny's there is no way it would've been over 15 pounds unless it was a turtle. It felt worse when I was at the rock quarry with a huge cat on and I couldn't stop it before it got me in one of the few snags in the whole pond. Today it was storming big time. T-storms, hail, a bunch of rain, funnel clouds, and tornadoes. It was really windy at first then it started raining and hailing like crazy. Then it was calm for a few minutes before it started storming again. I just kept waiting for the tornado but luckily none of the funnel clouds touched down. There was just a loud crack of thunder just now as I am typing this. After the storms it was as calm as could be and nothing else coming in until tonight so we went fishing. I caught 3 times as many crappie as dad caught. Too bad he only caught 1. All 4 of our fish had to be pushing 6 inches. Oh well. The storms were not as bad as when we were in Louisville though. We were flying down the interstate watching this funnel cloud several hundred yards off to my right. It had not touched down yet but it was very close. That was probably the most scared I had ever been.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 am

Great read Willy Sounds like you and Terry both are getting the fish every time you go out, just be careful with them darn storms lightning sucks when your around water. hope you keep on catching the fish my friend. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 am

Nice report...but it sounded like the weather sucked.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am

Very good report, Willy. Glad to hear you're catching some fish! Sorry to hear about the storms though. It's raining here again today. It rained all day yesterday too. Is supposed to rain up till tomorrow afternoon. I am so ready to get out there and get my lines wet, but will be a little bit yet before I can get out there. Priorities suck! LOLOL
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Nice report Willy.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks guys. The storms pretty much filled Danny's back up. I decided to go for a little while today to try and catch some crappie. I caught 4 but they were little 3 and 4 inchers. The water was really muddy and it seemed like the crappie were not schooled up as usual. None of the 4 I caught were in the same spot, they were scattered out.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Just got back in tonight. I only caught 1 channel, some small crappie, and a bluegill or two. As soon as I got there I started catching some 5-6 inch crappie and bluegill. Caught about 20 of them all together. I had casted my two catfish poles down the bank in shallow water. Both had strawberry chicken tipped with a little night crawler. As I watched the bobber on my 6500 it pumped a few times and then it buried it. I set the hook and missed. It seems I have missed quite a few fish on that pole. I didn't think to check while I was out there but I think I have a dull hook. A 10 foot medium heavy rod sets the hook pretty good. I pitched it right back out there. It was so dark I could barely see the bright orange bobber or the bright green bead I had on the other one. I was concentrating on the orange one and it went under. I picked it up and was starting to swing hard but there was no slack at all so I gave it a good pull. I thought I had a nicer fish on there judging by all the noise this one was making and by how hard he was fighting. I tried to find the bright green bead on the other one but couldn't. I stood on the rod I all ready hooked the fish on so it couldn't get pulled in while I set the hook on the other. This is the first double I have had in a while. I put the 5600 in a pole holder while I tried to get the first fish out. Luckily it got tail wrapped and came in pretty easily until the line came loose. It was not near what I was expecting. I was expecting a 8+ pound channel. Not the 6 pounder that set at my feet. A quick hook removal and I get the other rod out of the holder. Not much of a fight with this one. I guess he wore his self out while in the rod holder. It was about as long as the other but this one was more chunky and probably a pound heavier. Sorry no pics but they wouldn't of turned out very good anyway.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 am

Great report willy, sounds like the fish is really picking up there now to the pan fish seem to be hitting more to. Yep pics don't work to well in the dark unless you have a lantern or light of some kind, thanks for the report buddy hope to see some pictures soon. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:40 am

Very good report Willy...Thanks for sharing it with us....
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks Mike and Tessie! I got up at 6 this morning so I could be fishing by daylight. I fished until about 9:30 to come get some food and then I was back fishing by 10. I stayed the second time until about 1:30. Never got a bite. I don't know why but these fish have lock jaw today. I only seen one fish that was active besides the grass carp. I kept seeing this snake swimming along the bank. I hate water snakes. I don't have a problem with snakes like ball pythons, corn snakes, and stuff like that as pets. But anyway I ran the snake off and it started away straight away from me. It probably didn't swim 20 feet and a big bass ate him. I thought that was pretty cool. As usual the grass carp were eating the moss and I can't believe how big these two fish have gotten. I know they get huge but I never thought they would get this big in a small pond. The bigger one is probably 40 pounds and the other is a little smaller but not much. It probably weighs 30-35 pounds. I guess it was sick when it was little or something because they were put in at the same time. I caught the smaller one when it was about 18-20 and that was about a year ago.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Nice report Willy! Sorry you didn't catch anything. I don't like snakes of any kind.. The only good snake to me is a dead one LOL. FYI: Grass carp eats its weight in weeds per day. I.E. If a grass carp weighs 40 pounds, it will eat 40 pounds of weeds per day. They do get huge and most of the time it doesn't take them very long to get big either. Hope you have better luck next time with the fishing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

09 fishing
Page 2 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next