BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

09 fishing

Go down 
+12
radish
T.C.
jerseycat9
sqrlhntr
newfie2007
Muskyman
saltfisher1
North Star
bluegill
OhioFisher
marlboro920
catfish willy
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

09 fishing - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 am

Great report, Willy! Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Glad that he is doing better though. Keep the reports coming in! Prayers are sent from Ohio for you and your family!~!
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Yep...Nothing like saltwater fishing...You never know what you might catch.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks Peg. He is doing alot better than my dad did when my dad had his 5 way bypass. He did not swell up at all like my dad and my dad looked all bruised up. Obviously he doesn't have his eyes open or talking but he was nodding his head last night. My Dad asked him if we was alright and he nodded his head up and down a little. When he asked him if he was hurting and he nodded his head sideways a little.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm

Prayers sent my friend....
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks Tessie
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Just got another call. They expected him to be on a respirator for several days because he is 70 years old, diabetic, and really over weight. Now, 18-20 hours after having his surgery, He is sitting up and talking. The doctors can't believe how well he is doing and neither can I. After seeing my Aunt Theresa break down crying in the hall I was starting to wonder just how well this would turn out but as long as he keeps doing as good as he has been doing he will recover alot quicker than my dad. My wild boar hunt has been pushed back until this fall but I am going to Florida for a week before school starts.
Back to top Go down
radish
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
radish

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Hope your Grandpa gets well very soon Willy.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Prayers sent for your grandpa Willy.

You going to Panama City for vacation?
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks for the update, Willy! I'm very happy to hear that your grandpa is doing so well already! I see where you get your determination from hehehe... Wink Prayers are continued to be sent.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks everybody! He is still getting better and better. I'm was very surprised to see him doing as good as he is considering what he went through. Greg, I am going to Vernon sometime within the next few weeks. Vernon is about 45 minutes to an hour from Panama.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:22 pm

Well, Florida vacation can go either way right now. It depends on how long it takes for them to set up the camper, rest come home and rest up for the drive. We only have about 3 weeks before schools starts. I bought me a new bass reel for my birthday. I figured 7-8 catfish poles would do me for now. I went with a Pennicle Inertia. I had high hopes with this reel having 9 bearings and only spooling it with 12 pound test. I put it on my old team diawa-v rod. I love this new pole. I don't think I can use those little bass pro reels that I have with 2-3 bearings no more. This reel has 9 bearings and is as smooth as can be. With 12 pound test I could cast either a 3/16 or 3/8 ounce rooster tail I can't remember which quite a bite farther than I needed to at the old rock quarry. I caught 5 bass and had a big one at my feet but pulled the hook. There was about a 3 foot drop to the water where I was fishing and didn't have a net. 3 bass were about 17-18 inches, 1 was about 10-12 inches, and 1 was about 12-14 inches. Ofcourse the big one got off. It was easily 20 inches maybe 22. The fish were not biting hard. I would just feel that rooster tail kind of flutter or just a few taps except for the big one that got off. The big one hit while the rooster tail was falling. About half way through my cast I stopped to change the song on my mp3 player. As the lure was falling the slack was going out and I seen it twitch so I set the hook. I didn't think it was that big of a fish until I had it at my feet. It wasn't fighting much at all for some reason. My grandpa got to come home today. He was in such bad shape before he doesn't hurt much more now than before. He can't get up as good or walk quite as good. He has taken me to bass pro for my birthday since I was 11-12 years old. I called him on my birthday and told him 3 days was enough rest and I was waiting on him to take me to bass pro.He is a tough stubborn old man I wouldn't of been surprised if he said okay and went.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:13 am

Thats a great report buddy i been there to with having no net to get the fish and yep it's always the big one lolol. Sound like great news with your grandpa he went threw alot and and im glad he up and about already take good care of him. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for the report, Willy! I always look forward to reading them. Glad to hear you are still catching some fish. I haven't been fishing in a couple weeks. It may be a couple more weeks before I get out there to fish again, as I have a lot going on here right now. Glad to hear your g'pa is out of the hospital and doing better! I'm sure he will be getting better day by day! Be sure you take good care of him and help him out with whatever it is that he needs help with.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:02 pm

I am going over there tomorrow to help with his garden. I can't quite remember what all he said he needed done so I will figure out tomorrow. I went over to the old rock quarry again tonight. When I use soft plastics I usually use a 7 foot medium action rod with 6 pounds test or a 5 foor 9 inch medium light rod with 6 pound test. They both have alot of give to them so I set the hook hard and never had a problem with the hooks bending due to the light rod and light line. I put some 50 pound power pro on my shimano callisto and it casts plenty good enough to use the soft plastics and I prefer it because of the sensitivity. With the heavy rod, heavy line with no stretch, and a light wire hook I can't set the hook as hard as I do with my little spinning reels. They make stronger hooks made for braids (and I now know why) but I don't have any. I was working a rubber worm real slow up by a tree in the corner. The tree itself is in about a foot of water but it is about 2-3 in front of it. I felt a tap but wasn't sure if it was a bite or I hit something. When the slack started creeping out I set the hook just as hard as I do with my little poles and bent the light wire hook. A little while later I was casting a top water plug up by some cat tails and jerked it out of the fish's mouth. Right at dark I started using that big rooster tail again and felt it flutter so I set the hook. It was another 17-18 inch fish. That was all until right at dark and I wanted to see if any deer were out. I have been seeing this 8 pointer outside the ears and tines about 5-6 inches long right now and decent brows on the farm across the street but he has been coming from over here. When I got back there 8 deer were in the field including my 8 pointer and another buck that was quite a bit bigger. I sit there on the back of the 4 wheeler watching them and 4 more came out. I took some pictures but don't how well they came out and I have to wait until we get this thing fixed before I can see them or post them. After seeing that deer I think I need to go help Frankie do something (Frankie owns the property that backs up to the rock quarry). I'm sure he will let me help control the deer population over there.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 am

Great report, Willy! Glad to hear you got into some fish. I also like sitting out watching the deer grazing at dusk. Hopefully Frankie will let you do some things for him and then in return help you do some whitetail deer management!~! Best of luck!~!
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks Peg! He let us hunt over there a couple years ago but when we got permission across the oad we stopped hunting over there. I took the longest shot I have ever taken and my first deer with a muzzleloader. I shot a little 3 pointer thinking he was a doe about 300 yards away with my 270 and I shot a little 6 pointer with my muzzleloader on the last day of the season. The next time I see his truck home I will stop by and ask.
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 am

My computer actually recognized the camera so I can put up some pics. This first one is of the wierd turtle. As you can see most of the outer part of skin is gone.

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish071Small

This picture is of the turtles I just had. Pair of 20, the little one above and one 10ish

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish073Small

I also found some pictures from the old rock quarry. Not sure when they were taken or who did it (from looking at them probably my sister because I don't remember taking them) but they are there. This picture shows on corner and part of the dam. One of, if not the, biggest bass I ever hooked came in front of the cat tails on the dam with a buzz bait.

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish074Small

The majority of my turtles on caught on either side of the rock wall

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish075Small

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish080Small

The upper part of this picture is a shelf. It goes from a couple inches deep to several feet deep.

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish077Small

09 fishing - Page 10 Fish078Small
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:55 am

Cool pictures willy, i like to fish the rock quarries around my home town but they closed them up because some kids drown there a few years back, plus there about 190 feet deep to so it would be a real task to get anyone out. Looks like a great place to fish that is for sure, thanks for the report buddy. cheers
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Besides the people I take over there and Frankies grandson I am the only one that fishes over there. I'm not real sure how deep it is at the deepest part. There are alot of shallow parts in obvious places like the corners and on the shelf plus there is a large flat in the middle by the dam. I talked to Frankie a little bit ago. He didn't have anything I could help him with but he said he wanted somebody hunting back there.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 4:14 pm

The quarries here are granite they get deep. affraid
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 am

Great pics, Willy! Looks like an awesome place to fish! That's good that you are allowed to hunt @ Frankie's! Best of luck deer hunting this year!
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks Peg. Last night me and dad picked about 10-15 dozen catalpa worms. We went to a lake today and used some of them with dave and Kenny. Kenny caught 16, dad caught 5, Dave caught 2 and I caught 0. I only had 6 bites that I think didn't have scales and don't see how I missed 2 of them. I had 2 fish right up to the bank and that was the closest I got to landing any. Kenny gave me and dad about half of his though. Can you guess what I get to do in the morning?
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I woke up this morning with a bad sore throat. At first it hurt to talk but now it only hurts to swallow. After I put the catalpa worms into bags (about 2 dozen per bag) and after I cleaned about 15 channel cats I went over to Danny's. I wish I could get some pictures on here but the computer wont recognize the camera. This morning I was there for about 3 hours. I caught 1 bluegill about the size of my hand and a little bit before I left to go to my grandpa's the cork up in the corner but the dam started walking off so I set the hook. Another one of Danny's nicer channels. Kenny gave me the rest of his bait that he had left over. It was a little shrimp, nightcrawlers and salmon. I had never even heard of anyone using salmon and when I tried it earlier the little turtles picked at it and that was it. Tonight was a little different. I casted one pole up in the corner by the dam where they have been biting. I only had one bite on it and it was a big bluegill. The salmon fillets are really soft. I could barely cast it out without it flying off so I was using it right at my feet backed with a little night crawler. I caught 4 on it right before dark with only one little fish. The other 3 were big channels. All 4 of the big channels were 27-29 inches long about like they usually are in there. After those channels quite biting I only had one more bite. It was a snapper that was easy 30 maybe 35 pounds. I just cut my leader and came on home because it was so dark I could barely see my other cork.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 8:06 am

First off buddy you keep that sore throat crap right were you are i do not need anything like that here lolol that would suck. As far as for the fishing it as really been a good active season for you, that is cool and i hope that it keeps on being good for you. Im going to try and get out and see what i can do in a few days the water is real low here so im not sure, anyways thanks for the great report willy i enjoy reading the action that you guys always have. 09 fishing - Page 10 187452 cheers 09 fishing - Page 10 56900
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 10:34 am

I agree with Mike, Willy. I've had a bad cold since last Tuesday. I've had about enough of it. Thanks for the report! It's nice to hear of people still getting out there and catching some fish. It doesn't seem like you come home empty handed much at all and that is good. Keep up the great reports and keep those lines tight!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 09 fishing   09 fishing - Page 10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

09 fishing
Page 10 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next