BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard Empty
PostSubject: Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard   Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Most fishermen seek big fish but for Ron Davenport of Fremont, a whopper came to him — a 49½-inch, 53-pound white amur to be exact. Right into his backyard.

Davenport lives on aptly named Minnow Creek, a small seasonal drainage that runs through the south side of town and usually runs a foot deep. But it flooded with runoff recently.

“I was going to work,” Davenport said about his initial sighting. “I saw it in the backyard. I saw the fish flopping around.” But he was in a rush so did not check it out immediately.

“Next day I went out and asked, ‘Is that a fish, or is that a log?’” he said. Davenport called Fred Snyder, an Ohio Sea Grant agent and biologist, who confirmed it was an amur, also known as a grass carp, an Asian member of the minnow family. They often are used in ponds for vegetation control.

Ron Davenport of Fremont, right, poses with his daughter, Emily, and a 53-pound white amur that turned up in his backyard.

Trouble is, Snyder said, it is a mystery where this huge fish originated. It is the largest specimen Snyder ever has seen.

“Last year I saw one bigger than this one,” the Fremonter said, adding that nobody believed him. “Everybody laughed.” No more.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard   Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Holy Crap!!!
Back to top Go down

Fremont man finds huge grass carp in backyard
Page 1 of 1