BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Huge Stumps

Go down 
+4
papa
Blackhawk19l
saltfisher1
jimhs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 12:08 pm

While I was hunting down at the coast last week, I ran across these huge stumps. They've probably been there for close to a hundred years. The first one was interesting, because a small fir tree started on top of the old stump, and you can see how it's roots grew down the outside of the stump to the ground.

The last picture was an even bigger stump that had been burned out on the inside. If you look carefully at the first and last pictures you can see a small black square on both stumps. In the last picture it's just above and to the left of my head. These were the square holes that the fallers cut into the trunk of the tree for the springboards that they used to stand on while cutting the tree. I thought they were pretty interesting. Oregon, California and Washington used to have some really huge trees, but no more. I can remember down in northern California when I was a little kid seeing log trucks with one log loads many times, but those days are gone forever now.

Huge Stumps STUMP2
Huge Stumps STUMP1
Huge Stumps STUMP3

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Holy Crap!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Blackhawk19l
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Blackhawk19l

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Great Pics, Thanks
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm

To me the redwoods is about as awesome as it gets, I never could fathom how big they were till I stood and looked up from the bottom and walked around a few. I thought the seqoias were big till I seen the redwoods.
Back to top Go down
newfie2007
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
newfie2007

Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 10:22 pm

kool pics
Back to top Go down
http://world-of-outdoors.canadian-forum.com/
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:36 am

Now Them Were Some Huge Trees At One Time, Fact They Would Make The Trees Around My Area Look Like Tooth Picks. Cool Pictures Jim Thanks For Sharing, Did You Get Anything While Hunting. Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 2:33 pm

No we didn't Mike. We had some real close encounters with big bulls, but we had a real disadvantage with us. My buddies Dad was along and he just could not grasp the concept of what we were trying to do. He is almost deaf, so he can't hear a thing that's going on around him. His top speed is about that of Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnette show. We called in a couple of bulls that saw him wandering around and that was the end of that. It's a long story and I don't feel up to typing it all out here. The reality of it is that we will never shoot a bull with him along. Sad part of it is that it's Dillon's Dad and he feels really bad about it. I told him several times, "Buddy your young yet. You've got the rest of your life to kill bulls. Your Dad is not going to be here forever. So we have to just do what we can do and the hell with the rest of it. If we shold luck out and kill a bull that's great. If not, well we had a good time together anyhow. Enjoy your time that you can spend with him on these trips. You'll look back on it someday when he's gone and tell yourself that your damned glad that you spent that time with him when you could."

He agreed with me and thanked me for that. He was worried that I was getting frustrated and disappointed with the whole deal. But I told him again that it was no big deal. I told him how much I wished that my Dad was still here and could go with me on trips, and he understood. And Dillon knows that to me it's not that important to actually kill a bull. The thrill for me is to bugle them and get them to come in with in 10 or 15 yards.

Dillons Dad, Duane, has been a good friend of mine for over thirty years. I've know Dillon since he was born. So it didn't bother me at all that Duane screwed up a couple of set ups for us. He's a good friend and the way I look at it, if he was happy and having a good time, so was I.

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 3:22 pm

wow thats cool pics!!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Jim That Is So True, Enjoy The Time You Have With Your Family It Is Very Important To Them And You Will Remember Every Bit When They Are Gone That Is What It Is All About, Thanks For The Story And The Pics Buddy. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Now them was some big ole trees at one time.You are lucky to have a place like that to hunt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Huge Stumps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Huge Stumps   Huge Stumps I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huge Stumps
Page 1 of 1