BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I mowed the grass today.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

I mowed the grass today. Empty
PostSubject: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Actually it was more like wild onions. Those things have taken over the yard. I heard you could put lime on your yard and eventually get rid of them. Anyone got any better ideas of how to rid the yard of them without killing all the other plant life?
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Mark, is the wild onions you speak of called RAMPS. ???
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 pm

They are thick here Mark. Makes me sick to my stomach when I mow them. Stinks bad. Mike, I have never heard them called nothing but wild onions.
here or in Texas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Here is a link grumpy with a video and some info that might help ya, it don't look like or sound like it will be an easy task for ya.

http://killwildonions.com/
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 pm

I've cut weeds twice so far in 2010....Smells like onions each time I cut.
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:58 pm

The bad thing about them is when you mow, they just lay over and spring back up higher than the grass you just mowed. Then 3 days later, they have grown 3 more inches. 90% of the green in my yard is onions. They are real bad in early spring and again in the fall, but other than that they are not noticable during the summer. They are only in the front yard. I fertilized the front yard a couple of times when we first moved here, Maybe that's what made them take over.
The only way I could physically remove them like the guy said in the video would be to get a bulldozier in here and cut the top 6" off the entire yard. They are that thick.

I've heard of ramps, but I think they only grow in the mountain areas here.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 7:25 am

Mark your yard sounds like mine but mine is all dandelions lolol, guess what im making this spring (IM MAKING WINE FROM THEM) i figure if i can't beatem im going to make use of as many as i can and i have enough here for the whole county to make wine. lolol cheers
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am

Heck see if you can sell them, make a little money off the dang things. My nieghbor has winter onions in his and they told me to get all I want. The ones here taste and look just like the green onions out of the garden.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I mowed the grass today.   I mowed the grass today. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I mowed the grass today.
Page 1 of 1