BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Home Made Minnow Trap

Go down 
+3
North Star
papa
Blackhawk19l
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackhawk19l
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Blackhawk19l

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Home Made Minnow Trap Empty
PostSubject: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:09 pm

After reading the reviews on Bass Pro and listening to others on here about them not closing right and having to use bread ties etc I decided to build my own. I bought two 1/2 water jugs ($1.87)and some 20 gauge X 18" floral stem wire(88 cents) at Walmarts. At the hardware store I bought some hardware cloth 1/4" mesh 24" X 5' for $4.85, enough to do 6-8. Also a tent stake to tie it to, I stole that from my son

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2020

The pieces of the two jugs I'm going to use

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2021

I used a 12' X 19" piece of wire and drilled holes in the parts of the jugs and then laced the wire through them. It ended up 20" long

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2022

Here is a better shot of the wire lacing and that's a 1" opening in the jug top for the minnows to come in

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2025

I didn't put any holes in the other end so when I get it out of the water I can hold it up and look at what I caught while their still in the water, If I like what I have I just unscrew the bottle top and let them go in the minnow bucket

On Edit-I think I will have to drill holes in this end so it will sink properly.

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2023

As an extra bonus the jug I just cut the top off will make a good little bucket with a handle to get fresh water for the minnow bucket or bail the boat Shocked

Home Made Minnow Trap 100_2027

I think I may go fishing in the morning and try it, I'll let you know how it works

Last edited by Blackhawk19l on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Nice lookin trap Blackhawk.
Back to top Go down
Blackhawk19l
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Blackhawk19l

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks, I've been sitting here thinking about it and I will probably have to drill holes in the big end of the jug so it will sink and not hold air.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:59 pm

If A Guy Puts His Mind To It He Can Really Think Up Some Cool Things, That Looks Awesome Buddy Let Us Know How It Works.

ps, You Can Always Use It For A Big Beer Glass. lol! lol! drunken
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:01 am

I've got a few of those water jugs around and a roll of that kind of mesh wire too...O might make a couple of those to sell at the yard sale.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 12:38 pm

I like making stuff like that, I finally figured out why I didn't catch any minners in 3 days with mine, it wasn't the dog food that wasnt working, DUH, I had the opening facing upstream and it neds to face downstream to work. They can swim in against the current but don't seem to be able to swim through it heading downstream, I don't know why but I experimented a couple of yrs ago and found this out but had forgotten. I think it's because of the current going through is very unstable due to the different openings and all. I will have to take mine back out to the same place, when the water goes down and use the dog food again to see if this was the problem.
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 pm

I like that minnow trap.

I bought a half pound of minnows this morning for tomorrow's fishing trip. I gave the girl a 10 dollar bill and she gave me 17¢ change back. I guess every thing is going up. The last time I was there I bought a quarter pound and it was $2.50. I think I'm going to start using jigs instead of minnows. I can't afford them at that price.
Back to top Go down
Blackhawk19l
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Blackhawk19l

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

I tried it out this morning and it works great, caught about 30 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" bream over a span of about 90 min. Not very many minnows in that pond. I will have to put holes in the jug part so I can use it from the bank without that end floating. Putting it in from the boat it works fine without the holes
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 am

Thats the perfect size bait that I need to catch...I bet I could catch plenty of pinfish and small croaker for bait with one of those....probably a few small bait crabs too.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Here's pics of the one I made a few years back, It's made from 2 one gallon plastic jars. I used the top end off of both jugs so that I can take off either end to get the fish out easy and can stick a hand in each end when mounting my bait inside. It has worked pretty good for me so far. Beats having to pay a small fortune for minnows.

Home Made Minnow Trap Dicks020-1-1

Home Made Minnow Trap Dicks022-1

Home Made Minnow Trap Dicks021-2-5
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Those are some great ideas guys. Wonder how well they'll catch goldfish.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Probably won't fit in your fish tank, ridge
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:29 pm

ive got a minnow trap i found one day that some body left behind ....dident know what ta bait it with ....u guys gave me an ideal ...dog food ty ....n lol papa Very Happy
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 am

Just get a small loaf of sub type bread, put it in and it will plaster itself up against the back of the trap and the minners will go in to eat but can't get back out, or hope they can't.
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm

ive got a little bag with mine ....do i put it in that or should i just put in in the trap ???
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:06 pm

I just put my bread in the trap.
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

ok ty papa i will give it a try Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Minnow Trap   Home Made Minnow Trap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Made Minnow Trap
Page 1 of 1