BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Home Made Bait Tank

Go down 
+6
pappy3
Katfishing Cajun
OhioFisher
North Star
timber
Ace
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

My Home Made Bait Tank Empty
PostSubject: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:17 pm

I had these pics and video on another web site but they are gone hope they will stay here a while.

Home Made Bait Tank. Made in the winter of 2006
I have a new home made bait tank I started building this past winter and finished in the spring.

This bait tank has done a great job for me this fishing season keeping my bait alive I have used it several times to transport live bream from the lake to my home where I have been stocking the new pond I had dug. I have had over 100 bream in it for 6 hours and never lost any. One of the main things fish need is plenty of oxygenated water and keep the water temperature cool. I decided to make a double wall bait tank to help control the water temperature. I chose to use two plastic drums one 55 gallon and one 40 gallon the 40 in side the 50.I made the inside 40 gallon drum 3/4 of an inch shorter than the out side drum to allow for a 3/4 plywood top to sit flush. I centered up the inside drum and used a pics of 1/2 OSB to keep the inside drum round when I sprayed the Styrofoam in the walls to isolate the walls. I laid the open end of the out side drum on the plywood and marked it with pencil. Then I took my jig saw and sawed 1/8 inside the circle that I made with the pencil. This allows for the wall thickness of the out side. Then I took a sander cleaned up the sawed surface to make it fit inside the drum. Next cut out a door leaving the thickness of both drum walls around the inside parameter of the door. This makes the door flush with the inside wall. Then I primed and painted both sides with two coats of enamel paint. I used stainless steel piano hinge and screws to fasten the top in place and the hinge. Next I installed a 12 volt 750 GPH pump with a stainless screen on the inlet. I made a spray bar from 1/2 PVC and capped the ends on the spray bar {T} The over all length was 12 inches. I drilled a series of 1/8 holes 1/2 apart.I mounted a 12 volt double line air pump on top of the cover and I drilled a 1/4 hole thur the cover. I ran one hose in the tank with a 3 inch air stone then I drilled and tapped a 10/32 hole for a 1/8 hose fitting in the 90 degree joint to inject air into the water as it is circulated in the tank. I also plumed the tank with two shut off valves so I can close one and open the other to empty the tank. I think this about covers it I have some pics and a video I made to day of the tank.

My Home Made Bait Tank 01 My Home Made Bait Tank 02 My Home Made Bait Tank 04 My Home Made Bait Tank 05 My Home Made Bait Tank 06 My Home Made Bait Tank 07 My Home Made Bait Tank 08 My Home Made Bait Tank 09 My Home Made Bait Tank 10

Bait Tank Video
https://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb58/Icon1948/?action=view&current=BaitTankVideo7-7-2007.flv

[
Back to top Go down
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Ace we don't clean house very often, they may move to the back but they will be here. Thanks for sharing.Well Ace, Mike and I just talked and your post is now a sticky so it won't even move to the back!!

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Buddy That Is A Nice Bait Tank And I Have Been Looking For Another Way Other Than My Cattle Tank To Hold My Bait When I Make That 100 Mile Trip To The Big River Thank You ACE For Sharing This With Us. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks Lady I hope this info will help some one.
Back to top Go down
OhioFisher
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
OhioFisher

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm

looks good!
what minnows do ya keep in there?
Back to top Go down
http://ohiooutdoors.org
Katfishing Cajun
Dime
Dime
Katfishing Cajun

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

That's an awesome bait tank Ace! Thanks so much for sharing! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 7:35 pm

thanks , I like that! I may do one of them after I move!!
Back to top Go down
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 9:48 pm

OhioFisher wrote:
looks good!
what minnows do ya keep in there?

We keep either shad or shiners and bream but only one kind at a time .
Back to top Go down
Deerslayer
Dime
Dime
Deerslayer

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Ace, thats a dandy looking tank. Looks well thought out , well made and I bet it works great. I need to build one one of these days if i ever get time. Live bait would be great to have on hand.
Back to top Go down
trailbreaker
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
trailbreaker

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 4:48 pm

looks good ace
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 10:01 pm

That is a real good system,Buddy and I know that it works good..........
Back to top Go down
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Hey Ace that red and white ballcock valve sure looks familiar to me. It's the same valve I use in my hunting shower. They sure do work good.

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Home Made Bait Tank   My Home Made Bait Tank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Home Made Bait Tank
Page 1 of 1