BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

World Record Blue Catfish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

World Record Blue Catfish Empty
PostSubject: World Record Blue Catfish   World Record Blue Catfish I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:28 pm

From the IGFA
DANIA BEACH, Fla. --- The International Game Fish Association (IGFA), the organization which among its many duties maintains world records for both freshwater and saltwater game fishes, has approved this Mississippi River brute weighed in 124 pound 58" long and 44" girth the catfish is the new world record blue cat was caught in mid May by Tim Pruitt of Alton, Ill.

World Record Blue Catfish 24catfish650

Prairie State catfish angler Tim Pruitt recently set a fishing record that will be difficult to top.
During a May 21 late-night fishing trip to the Illinois side of the Mississippi River below the Alton Lock and Dam, the Bethalto angler hooked a fish that tested his limits -- as well as that of his fishing gear and boat.
Following an exhausting battle that continued for about 40 minutes, Pruitt landed not only the largest catfish ever landed in Illinois, but the biggest blue cat ever caught in the world, a monstrous 124-pound lunker. The tug-of-war dragged the boat containing Pruitt, his wife and a friend for three miles downriver.
The record catch measured 58 inches in length and had a girth of 44 inches, according to Illinois Department of Natural Resources district fisheries biologist Fred Cronin. It weighed in at 124 pounds and topped the previous state record for the species by a phenomenal 39 pounds.

That previous state-record blue catfish also came from the Mississippi River, but nearly 100 miles downstream from Alton.
According to Cronin, Pruitt's fish outweighed the previous world-record blue catfish by 3 1/2 pounds. That fish was caught in Lake Texoma in Texas.

"While we have already verified the catch as an official Illinois state record, the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) who maintains the world records requires a greater amount of information for their verification process," Cronin explained.

Interestingly, all the publicity surrounding the record catch now has many Alton area anglers concerned that hundreds, if not thousands, of hopeful record-seekers from across the nation will descend upon their secret fishing hole just north of St. Louis.

"I knew it was just a matter of time before someone landed a new state record from these waters." Cronin said. "There had been several blue catfish in the 80-pound category caught from these same waters in the past year."

You can read more about Tim Pruitt's remarkable catch in the August issue of Illinois Game & Fish magazine, available on newsstands July 19.

Old world record.

Try a 121-pound, 8-ounce blue catfish being pulled from the chilly waters of the 89,000-acre reservoir that straddles the Oklahoma-Texas border!

Texas angler Cody Mullennix accomplished that feat Friday, Jan. 16, when the 27-year old catfisherman beached a 60-inch blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) while he fished from the bank on the Texas side of the reservoir, located about an hour's drive north of Dallas.

Mullennix's 20-minute battle with the whiskered leviathan produced not only an apparent overall Texas state record for the species, but also a possible International Game Fish Association all-tackle world record

World Record Blue Catfish Oldbluerecord
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: World Record Blue Catfish   World Record Blue Catfish I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:01 pm

I Would Never Leave My Kids Swim In Them Waters Thats For Sure, Buddy That Is One Giant Fish Thanks For Sharing The Info And Pictures Buddy. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: World Record Blue Catfish   World Record Blue Catfish I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 3:39 am

That's monster blue! Shocked
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: World Record Blue Catfish   World Record Blue Catfish I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 9:27 am

That's hugh..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Record Blue Catfish   World Record Blue Catfish I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Record Blue Catfish
Page 1 of 1