BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spring time muskey location.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Spring time muskey location. Empty
PostSubject: Spring time muskey location.   Spring time muskey location. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Once the muskies have recuperated from the spawn they move from the shallow waters and stage at nearby structure that offers them the forage, cover and deeper water they require. The deeper water is essential. It gives the muskies a sense of security. In case of danger they simply slip into the depths.

In many lakes this area can be the middle or the mouth of a bay. The first good size weed bed near the spawning area that has deeper water nearby is ideal. If the weed is cabbage weed all the better. Cabbage weeds offer one of the highest concentrations of oxygen per volume of all the different weeds in the lake. Chances are this area is already teaming with a good supply of baitfish and game fish for the muskies to prey (forage) on.

On lakes that have no dominate bays, muskies will stage on main lake structure close to the main shore. Areas that offer patches of reeds and bulrushes are ideal locations for muskies to stage. If this area is large enough, there is a good chance for multiple muskies to be on it. Submerged timber, sand bars, sand flats and any major structural element that is close to the main spawning grounds with forage and deeper water nearby will hold muskies this time of year.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Spring time muskey location.   Spring time muskey location. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Great post, Mike! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Spring time muskey location.   Spring time muskey location. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 1:50 am

ty mike ...ill keep this in mind cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring time muskey location.   Spring time muskey location. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spring time muskey location.
Page 1 of 1