BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pappy got me thinking.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Pappy got me thinking. Empty
PostSubject: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Has anyone ever grown and tried these hot peppers, this will be the first time i have ever done this type. These peppers are grown both out doors and indoors so you can grow them year around. I have grown the Habanero and many other types of peppers including hot peppers and i use them in my hot pickles for in the fish house, coarse i do use them on burgers all year round but they are a toe warmer in the winter time when on the ice.
Here is a picture from the internet of the 7 pot pepper.
Pappy got me thinking. 7potchilliseeds
Currently one of the most sought after and difficult to obtain varieties.
The 7 Pod (sometimes called 7 Pot, as in 1 pod will spice seven pots of stew.) is a Chinense variety from Trinidad. This variety is matched for heat by just a small number of other Chinense varieties, namely the Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, the Naga Morich, and the Trinidad Scorpion (see below). The texture of the pods is very different to your average capsicum. Rather than the smooth, shiny surface of most peppers, the 7 pod has an almost paper-y texture and pods start lime green rather than the usual dark green. Seeds have been grown in Trinidad and not isolated so some cross pollination is possible and pure strain 7 pod cannot be guaranteed. Having said that, a 7 pod cross would be an even rarer pepper so don't let that put you off trying this great variety.
Here is 3 7 pot pepper plants that i have started for growing in the house.
Pappy got me thinking. 100_5352-1
Im looking into several other pepper plants that can be grown indoors as well as outdoors, that should keep me in the peppers for my pickles and my taco's. lolol
Here are a few more types that can be grown indoors if you like hot peppers.
Pappy got me thinking. 7_Pot_Hot_Peppers_Seeds_3
100+ days. Capsicum chinense. Plant produces good yields of wrinkled Habanero type hot peppers. Peppers are extremely hot and turn from green to red when mature. Plant has green stems, green leaves, and creamy-yellow flowers. It is so hot it is said to provide enough heat to spice up 7 pots of stew. A variety from Trinidad & Tobago.
Pappy got me thinking. Black_Pearl_Hot_Peppers_Seeds
2006 All-America Selections Winner! 90 days. Capsicum annuum. (F1) Plant produces good yields of shiny black ornamental hot peppers. Peppers are very hot, grow upright, and turn from black to red when mature. Plant has black leaves, black stems, and white flowers. Does well in regions where there is high heat and humidity. A beautiful plant suitable for indoor pots. Plant Height: 18" tall.
Pappy got me thinking. Chilly_Chili_Hot_Peppers_Seeds
2002 All-America Selections Winner! 90 days. Capsicum annuum. (F1) Plant produces high yields of 2" long hot peppers. Peppers grow upright and turn from greenishish yellow, to orange, to red when mature. A beautiful plant suitable for indoor pots.
Pappy got me thinking. Medusa_Hot_Peppers_Seeds
85 days. Capsicum annuum. (F1) Plant produces high yields of 2 ½" long hot peppers Peppers are twisted like a snake, grow upright, and turn from ivory, to yellow, to orange, to red when mature. This pepper is named after Medusa’s mythological hair. Excellent for indoor plant. It is protected by the Plant Variety Protection Act, #200000140. United States Department of Agriculture, PI 612955 PVPO. Plant Height: 8" tall.
There are several other types that can be grown indoors i think it will be rather a fun thing to try.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Sure are pretty peppers.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:48 am

Mike, I have actually seen the last two as ornamental plants by people's houses. They are beautiful! Nothing like a pretty plant that you can eat also!~! Razz
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 am

My mom had the last two plants....But I didn't know you could eat them...I thought they were just for their looks....
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 am

I may have to see if I can get some seeds for the ones that you can grow in the house, I love hot peppers and it may just cure the dang cats from eating the plants we bring inside. I'll put them in a room the cats can't get in until the are red then bring them out and let em have at it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pappy got me thinking.   Pappy got me thinking. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pappy got me thinking.
Page 1 of 1