BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trot lines

Go down 
+4
bountyhunter
Grumpy
Dragger
papa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 pm

I haven't done any trot lines in quite a few years, but got an idea this winter and am going to give it a shot this year. I want to run a trot line off of the bank and not have to wade the river to do it, so am going to use a 20" planner board and have my drops all baited up, then I can lit out some line and hook my drops on as it goes out, then take them off as it comes in. This way I fugure I can do it pretty easy and taking them off as I bring it in I won't get a hook stuck in me if a cat were to take off. papa
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:47 pm

that might work Papa......
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Hook it up to an electric winch with a remote control and you can just get up in the morning and push a button and wind them all in.
Back to top Go down
bountyhunter
Dime
Dime
bountyhunter

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:16 am

I reckon i am not too smart or my brain is not working,but what is a planner board Papa? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 9:35 am

Papa That Sounds Like A Good Idea And It Sounds Like It Will Work Pretty Slick, Let Us Know How Things Work Out Buddy. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:07 pm

We I live you can only run trot lines parallel to the bank.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Planner boards are what they use on boats to get the bait out to the side instead of right behind the boat bounty hunter. You can look them up on the puter and see what they are and how they are made. I am making my own planner boards for this, there are several different ways to do them.

In Illinois you can run them anyway but you aren't suppose to have them tied on both sides of the river. I will be right there with them when they are out, I don't feel like having everything stolen and around here it will happen. I'll have them tied off to a stake where I am at then the planner board can take it out at a 45 degree angle and will hold it there till a decent fish gets on. I donn't think the dinks will be able to move it around to much. I'll let yall know how my idea works, so keep your fingers crossed that it's a success. papa
Back to top Go down
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 6:16 pm

I bet you'll figure out a way to make it work, papa.
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 8:30 pm

I don't know if those things are legal here in Florida or not. I think they are with certain restrictions. In Michigan we could not do that. The most you could have was two rods under immediate control. Here there are no limit on the number of rods. I think I like that but on the other hand enough is enough.

I will study up on trot lines just in case. I have seen trot lines with hooks in stores. Anyone down here know anything about it?

Is this cheating or is it OK to catch fish this way?
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Papa, I've done got to old to run trot lines,but when I was younger I would run lines with over 500 hooks on them, I think you are allowed 50, I would run 4 or 5 lines at a time.That was when I was young and stupid. Now I only use rod/reels, and don't sell catfish anymore...............................
Back to top Go down
bountyhunter
Dime
Dime
bountyhunter

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 10:30 pm

papa wrote:
Planner boards are what they use on boats to get the bait out to the side instead of right behind the boat bounty hunter. You can look them up on the puter and see what they are and how they are made. I am making my own planner boards for this, there are several different ways to do them.

In Illinois you can run them anyway but you aren't suppose to have them tied on both sides of the river. I will be right there with them when they are out, I don't feel like having everything stolen and around here it will happen. I'll have them tied off to a stake where I am at then the planner board can take it out at a 45 degree angle and will hold it there till a decent fish gets on. I donn't think the dinks will be able to move it around to much. I'll let yall know how my idea works, so keep your fingers crossed that it's a success. papa
Thanks for the lesson Papa. I know what you are talking about now,i thought those were used for trolling? I did not know you could use them without a boat i guess. I suppose i just never thought about it? "DUH" sunny
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 8:12 am

If the wind was right a strong how about using a kite?
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 1:36 pm

I don't think I would use a kite Bernie, but now a little wooden boat with a littel sail might work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trot lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trot lines   Trot lines I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trot lines
Page 1 of 1