BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ohio River Info

Go down 
+3
tim
Littlecat92
flatcatnightmare
7 posters
AuthorMessage
flatcatnightmare
Nickel
Nickel
flatcatnightmare

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 12:51 am

I believe the Ohio river is 941 miles long and has 14 locks /dams .
I have fished the Ohio River since I can remember , I still know exactly what my first open bail reel looked like and remember being the luckiest of whatever group to catch the most fish .
When I was young I wouldn't go fishing The Ohio River unless I had my lucky pole and a few dozen nightcrawlers , spent a lot of days on the Ohio River , there used to be a local bait shop that would hold tournaments on the biggest fish and the prize would be a big surf rod combo that made my lil Eagle Claw combo look tiny , I never won the tourny I used to be so amazed on the fish that were caught out of the Ohio river .
It wasn't until my late 20's that a buddy of mine named Floyd taught me all he knew about fishing for Flatheads on this mighty river and as hooked on fishing as I thought I was , it was nothing compared to using a big ol live Blue gill and hooking into a big ol Flathead .
I've continued fishing the Ohio River to this day , While my biggest is only 41 lbs. Iv'e seen the pics and in person some of the fish this river produces , there are many species of fish native to the Ohio river so odds are if you like fishing youll'e like fishing it .
One of the most and important things I've learned about this river is to respect it , I always clean up like I was never there and clean up what other people have left , and to try and pass on what I know and have learned about it , so if ya wanna fish the mighty Ohio river come on down , ods are there's a big fish waiting to test your drag and remind you to keep upgrading your rods , reels and line to "this the biggest they had in the store " .
Back to top Go down
Littlecat92
Nickel
Nickel
Littlecat92

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 4:10 pm

The ohio is my favorite place to fish Cool
Back to top Go down
tim
Nickel
Nickel
tim

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 10:34 pm

as a west virginia native the ohio river is far my favorite place here to fish for catfish or just fish cause u never no what u may get hooked up with theres been nights we have caught 6-7 different species of fish and all sort of different sizes so i recomend each and every one of u if u aint never fished the ohio river before u need to give it a try
Back to top Go down
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Good info there Bill,,i'd like to fish that river one day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:30 am

Good info fcn...Thanks for sharing it with us..
Back to top Go down
jman
Nickel
Nickel
jman

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 29, 2008 12:57 am

I can't wait to get back to auroa and fish the creek again. How you doing bill? I haven't seen you since I was down ther with chef jim last year. lenny
Back to top Go down
flatcatnightmare
Nickel
Nickel
flatcatnightmare

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 am

Doing good jman thanks for asking , been extremely busy lately , I got so many things going on right now it aint funny , hey let me know when ya come back down this way , maybe we can fish together and catch a Hawg .
Back to top Go down
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Quite a few years ago I went back to West Virginia to visit my uncle who was dying of cancer back there. One of my cousin's husband took me fising a few different places while I was back there. One place was the Ohio River and we were fishing out of his little car top boat for stripers. We caught a few and they weren't very big, maybe 12 to 14 inches long. I had no idea back then that the Ohio River had big catfish in it. I would have rather fished for them. In fact back then I had no idea that catfish got to be the size that they do back in that part of the country.

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ohio River Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ohio River Info   Ohio River Info I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ohio River Info
Page 1 of 1