BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Releasing Rough Fish

Go down 
+3
sqrlhntr
T.C.
North Star
7 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Releasing Rough Fish Empty
PostSubject: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 am

even though winter is here with ice on most waters, our fishing opener is getting closer every day. and the first thing i would do is check your rules and regulations book(new ones are out 2008) for any new laws in effect that may have changed. in minnesota the release of carp back into the water it came from or into waters ant were is illegal, and so is leaving them on the bank or shore line. what i do with carp here is feed them to my dogs, smoke them if small enough, or put them in my garden. now for sheep head, they are also a fish that can be a pain in the butt when fishing but is not illegal to release back to the waters in minnesota. one thing that alot of people don't know about the sheep head is that they are one of very few fish that eat the zebra mussel that is becoming a very bad problem in our waters in all states. but here again if you catch one it is still illegal to leave them lay on our shore lines were we fish and if you don't want to put it back then take it home and dispose of it. if we practice this we can all lessen that awful smell at our fishing holes and maybe by talking with others that fish our areas we can keep our banks a little cleaner and smelling better. thanks for taking the time to read this, and just maybe we can make a difference this year.
Releasing Rough Fish LBF_Freshwater_Drum
[/quote] cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 9:08 am

So how do you cook your carp Mike..I've never eat one before.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 am

Tessie The Only Way That I Eat The Carp Is If They Are In The 5lb And Down Range, Then The Only Way That I Like Them Is Smoked With Apple Wood That Is Some Good Eating. Now With The Sheep Head They Are Also Good Eating When They Are About The Size Of A Big Crappie And Down, And They Taste As Good As Crappie. cheers
Back to top Go down
sqrlhntr
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
sqrlhntr

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Small carp I fillet, soak the fillets in saltwater, and use like any other fish.
Back to top Go down
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:19 pm

If your Sheeps Head is the same as out Drum or Gasper-Goo,,they are might fine eating when small.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 6:20 pm

There The Same Thing John. cheers
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:23 pm

I'll have to give them a try sometimes..Thanks Mike..
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I think I'll stick to catfish and crappies.........
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Dragger wrote:
I think I'll stick to catfish and crappies.........

Those crappie and catfish are hard to beat......
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:00 am

Way to cook a carp and taste good.

TAke a filet and let it sit in salt water for an hour or more, score it about ¾ of the way through, every inch, then turn it over and score it inbetween the ones from the other side, I like to sprinkle it with lemon pepper, some Lawrys seasoning salt, put it in a baking pan with a big spoon of grease, or what you like to use. Bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees, and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks papa...
Back to top Go down
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Mike how big do these fresh water sheep head get and are they good to eat? We catch sheep head in salt water they are great to eat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Releasing Rough Fish   Releasing Rough Fish I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Releasing Rough Fish
Page 1 of 1