BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The NFL's regular season is about to get longer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

The NFL's regular season is about to get longer Empty
PostSubject: The NFL's regular season is about to get longer   The NFL's regular season is about to get longer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:10 am

National Football League owners could vote in May on plans to lengthen the regular season to 17 or 18 games. The longer regular season, however, is unlikely to begin any earlier than 2011, Commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday at the N.F.L.’s annual meeting.

Adding at least one regular-season game while reducing the preseason schedule is a critical component of what Goodell called “increasing value” — the league’s attempt to find new revenue while remaining attractive to fans in the challenging economic climate. There is almost no chance that the regular season will remain at 16 games.

My initial reaction is that the more real football we have, the happier I'll be. Preseason football is brutal. Regular season football is awesome. Less of the former and more of the latter is a good thing.

But there is another side to it, and that's that football is a viciously physical sport, and it's played by human beings and not robots. At the end of a season, guys are beat up, bruised and battered to the point where not letting them take human growth hormone seems almost cruel. More games means more injuries means shorter careers.

And even though the idea of more football is obviously appealing to most fans, really, at the end of week 17, has anyone ever thought, "That really needed to be longer"? Sixteen games is plenty to determine who's the best team out there.

There's an upside and there's a downside. It's not like fans are going to get a choice, though, because anything that the owners would approve that would make them more money, the owners are going to approve. Records are going to fall. Careers are going to get shorter. The regular season's going to get longer, whether it's a good idea or not.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The NFL's regular season is about to get longer   The NFL's regular season is about to get longer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

I'm not a big fan of NFL or any other football. That's going to suck if they make the season longer.....
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The NFL's regular season is about to get longer   The NFL's regular season is about to get longer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:19 am

It'll make the players work harder for there millions they get payed
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: The NFL's regular season is about to get longer   The NFL's regular season is about to get longer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am

True, Greg. But it will also take up more of the "regular" TV watcher's TV....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The NFL's regular season is about to get longer   The NFL's regular season is about to get longer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The NFL's regular season is about to get longer
Page 1 of 1