BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school Empty
PostSubject: Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school   Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 4:02 pm

COSTA MESA, Calif. – Bruce Lindsay left behind a tip officials at Vanguard University won't soon forget.

Lindsay, who passed away last month at 79, bequeathed his estate to the small Christian university in Orange County where he ate daily at the cafeteria for decades. The donation, estimated to be at least several million dollars, will likely help the school that is saddled with $42 million in debt.

Known as the "campus grandpa" by students, Lindsay amassed his fortune by buying up cut-rate oil leases and flipping beachfront homes. A product of the Great Depression, Lindsay relished a good, cheap meal and abandoned a nearby hospital cafeteria for Vanguard where he found all-you-can-eat meals for $1.25.

"'Frugal' is not the right word for Bruce," suggested business professor Ed Westbrook, who befriended Lindsay. "He was real miserly."

Lindsay ate all of his meals on campus and often talked with both students and teachers, doling out advice. A former university president gave Lindsay the title of "student advocate" in the 1980s and with the title came free cafeteria food.

He became such a fixture at the 2,200-student university, he would often hold court in the crowded dining hall.

"I didn't sit with him every day, but there was always a big group of people who would eat with him at breakfast," recalled sophomore Brandon Arias.

Lindsay, who was never married and had no children, wasn't shy about commenting on the cafeteria fare. Lindsay's last words to Westbrook: "The cook put too much salt in the soup."

It's a good bet that a portion of Lindsay's money will be used to help build a new dining hall.

"That way," Westbrook said, "students will always be eating with Bruce."
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school   Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 am

That is pretty cool, thanks for for posting such an uplifting story it a big change to all the crime and havoc that is going on. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school   Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am

Its hard to find giood news anywhere right now...The media always chases the bad news anyway.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school   Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Awesome post, Greg! I am sure that the new dining hall will also be named after him too cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school   Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cafeteria regular leaves wealth to Calif. school
Page 1 of 1