BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Catfish Identification

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Catfish Identification Empty
PostSubject: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Channel Catfish

Common Names - spotted cat, blue channel cat, river catfish

Description - Channel catfish closely resemble blue catfish. Both have deeply forked tails. However, channels have a rounded anal fin with 24-29 rays and scattered black spots along their back and sides. They have a small, narrow head. The back is blue-gray with light blue to silvery-gray sides and a white belly. Larger channels lose the black spots and also take on a blue-black coloration on the back which shades to white on the belly. Males also become very dark during spawning season and develop a thickened pad on their head.

Catfish Identification Channel-Catfish
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Blue Catfish

Common Names - channel cat, hump-back blue, forktail cat, great blue cat, silver cat, chucklehead cat, blue fulton

Description - Adult fish have stout bodies with prominently humped backs in front of the dorsal fin. They resemble channel catfish by having deeply forked tails, but are dissimilar because they are unspotted and have a long, straight-edged anal fin with 30 to 35 rays. The back and upper sides are blue to slate gray, and the lower sides and belly are white. The internal air bladder has a constriction in the middle, giving it a two-chambered appearance.

Catfish Identification Blue-Catfish
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 pm

White Catfish

Common Names - forked-tail cat, catfish

Description - The sides are blue-gray to blue-black and may be mottled. The tail is moderately forked, and the anal fin is shorter and rounder than that of channel or blue catfish. Whites have only 19-22 anal fin rays. The chin barbels are white or yellow. They have a blunt, more-rounded head, and they lack black spots on their body.

Catfish Identification White-Catfish
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Yellow Bullhead

Common Names - butter cat, yellow cat, creek cat, white-whiskered bullhead, greaser, polliwog, chucklehead cat

Description - The yellow bullhead closely resembles the brown bullhead with a squat body and a round or square tail. It is yellow-olive to slate-black above and lighter, often yellow to yellow-olive, on its sides with little to no mottling. The belly may be white, cream or yellow. The chin barbels are yellow to buff or pale pink; the upper barbels, which are light to dark-brown, help distinguish this species from brown bullheads. The anal fin has a straight margin with 23 to 27 rays.

Catfish Identification Yellow-Bullhead
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Brown Bullhead

Common Names - creek cat, mud cat, horned pout, red cat, speckled cat

Description - The chin barbels on browns are pigmented, not whitish as with yellow bullheads. The sides of brown bullheads have a distinct, irregular brownish mottling over a light background. The belly is creamy white. They have square tails and 20 to 24 anal ray fins.

Catfish Identification Brown-Bullhead
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:41 pm

Flathead Catfish

Common Names - yellow cat, mud cat, shovelhead cat, johnnie cat, goujon, appaluchion, opelousas

Description - A flattened head, tiny eyes, squarish tail and protruding lower jaw distinguish the flathead from other catfish and contribute to it being placed in a genus of its own. They are yellow-brown and usually mottled above, with a creamy-white or yellow belly. Small flatheads may be confused with yellow or brown bullheads.

Catfish Identification Flathead-Catfish
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 12:53 pm

thanks buddy i looking forward to getting some spring time bullheads yum best time to eat them after the cold winter and ice off. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Catfish Identification   Catfish Identification I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Catfish Identification
Page 1 of 1