BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Air Compresser Question.

Go down 
+2
Grumpy
North Star
6 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Air Compresser Question. Empty
PostSubject: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:32 am

I Am Really Leaning Towards Getting An Air Compressor And Tank Set-Up. I Just Wanna Be Able To Do Basic Mechanical Stuff With It. I'm Talking About Installing Suspensions, Engine Work Etc. Doesn't Need To Be Big And Bad Top Of The Line. Just Wondering What Are Some Good Specs To Look For?

How Much hp?
How Many Gallons Tank?
I Wanna Hit At Least 150 ft/lbs For Some Of The Stuff I Wanna Do.
Best Places To Shop For, Best Prices?

Just Some General Insight And Peoples Opinions Would Be Nice. Thanks For Any Info You Can Provide. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 pm

I have a 12 gallon 3 hp compressor that does fine for what I need it for. It will power an impact wrench, air nailer, paint sprayer and lots of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am

I Think Th Most Use It Would Get Is Changing Tires, We Get Alot Of Flat Tires Do To Driving 100's Of Miles On Gravel Doing The Paper Route But There Would Be Other Things That It Would Be Used For Thanks For The Info Grumpy. cheers
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:17 pm

Well maybe a 25 gallon,a bit bigger but will power anything you want it to.
Back to top Go down
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Mike a smaller compressor will do just about anything you want to do. However if you ever intend to run things like die grinders or angle grinders and things like that, you will need one that has a lot of CFM, and one that will recover quickly. I have a two stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank, and I run it dry using air tools like these and it takes a long time to build up the pressure again.

Here is a link to a place called Harbor Freight. You've probably heard of them, but maybe not. I don't know how good some of these compressors are. I have bought stuff from them before that was junk, and then I've also bought stuff from them that was really good and cheap.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=air+compressor

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Blackhawk19l
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Blackhawk19l

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Jim's right, if your using air tools you will drain a small tank very quickly, I would get the biggest tank and highest cfm I could afford
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 pm

Got mine at Sears,does everything I need it to do just fine.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:02 pm

jimhs wrote:
Mike a smaller compressor will do just about anything you want to do. However if you ever intend to run things like die grinders or angle grinders and things like that, you will need one that has a lot of CFM, and one that will recover quickly. I have a two stage compressor with a 60 gallon tank, and I run it dry using air tools like these and it takes a long time to build up the pressure again.

Here is a link to a place called Harbor Freight. You've probably heard of them, but maybe not. I don't know how good some of these compressors are. I have bought stuff from them before that was junk, and then I've also bought stuff from them that was really good and cheap.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=air+compressor

Jim Cool
Im Going To Check This Out Tomorrow When I Have A Little More Time Thanks Guys For The Info It Does Help. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:29 pm

I do not have much advice but I have had three compressors and have one now. In fact, Mike when I was real poor I made one out of an old lawnmower engine and it worked just fine.

If you can find an old tank then you can make one for little or nothing. The lawnmower engine happened to be a verticle one. Just use a little commen sense. Take out the cam shaft and put a light spring under the intake valve. I used auto body paste or filler to reduce the head down to a lower space. Then put on a pulley wheel on the shaft and use an old electric motor. Find an old pressure switch and you are in business. It works as I done it. You just have to think about it and what you want it to do. After all the piston goes up and down and that is all you need. I do not remember all the details of just how I did it but it sure worked in the 70's. In fact I had two tanks which were rather large and I tied them together. Then I could use a lot of air even with a small compressor.

Thoughts to ponder!

One more thought Mike. Buy a smaller compresser unit and connect it's small tank to other tanks if you can find them then you will have staying power. You know your way around junk yards so look around. You can connect them together with pipe or hoses.
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 12:02 am

Further thoughts on my home made compressor. I think that I plugged up the exhaust valve hole with the gook. Also in the spark plug hole I installed a check valve. So there; remove the cam shaft and the exhaust valve. Install a light spring under the intake valve. Reduce the area of the head using gook and think about temperature. Put on a pulley of the size your motor can handle and you are in business. How about that?
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:06 pm

So what is going on with you air compressor thoughts Mike? Anything to report? Don't forget your long range plans with your well either. I think about that a lot. I think about you heating with wood. I think about you ice spearing also.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Bernie wrote:
So what is going on with you air compressor thoughts Mike? Anything to report? Don't forget your long range plans with your well either. I think about that a lot. I think about you heating with wood. I think about you ice spearing also.
Yep Bernie I Think About Them Same Thoughts Every Day, I Still Have Wood To Cut But It Has Been Raining For The Last 5 Days Not Letting Me Do So Fact Today Right Now Is The First The Sun Has Come Out At All. The WELL Is Still A In The Future Thing Still, We Are Scrapping And Saving The Bucks To Get This Thing Drilled We Hope Next Summer. And You No It Buddy, Though I Can Wait Because I Have Alot Of Things To Do Before The Snow Fly's I Think Of Ice Fishing/Spearing That Opens On My Birthday December 1st I Hope The Water Is Up By Then.As For The Compressor I Am Still Looking Around And I Guessing That I Can Find A Good Used One On A Sale Or Something, Im In No Real Rush For It I Guess Thats A Good Thing. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 11:28 pm

That little compressor I have does good on changing tires. Sometimes I may have to give it a little time to get the pressure back up if I'm working fast, but it's all I need. I bought a cheap air cut off tool at Harbor Freight for about $10.00 and it would drain my tank in about 3 seconds. Other than that, it powers everything else just fine.

I bought an impact wrench the other day at Harbor Freight for $12.00. I used it to rotate the tires on the car and it worked great. I went in the store to get something else, but just couldn't pass up the $12.00 impact wrench. Now I have two of them. A man can never have too many tools.
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 am

Another thought on a used air compressor Mike. If you do find one make sure that you check the bottom of the tank real good by visual and tapping. If someone had it that did not keep the moisture out then the tank will rust out from the inside. It may take a while but the bottom can be almost paper thin. I have seen this.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 8:58 am

Bernie wrote:
Another thought on a used air compressor Mike. If you do find one make sure that you check the bottom of the tank real good by visual and tapping. If someone had it that did not keep the moisture out then the tank will rust out from the inside. It may take a while but the bottom can be almost paper thin. I have seen this.
Thanks For The Heads Up Bernie I Will Keep That In Mind For Sure. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Compresser Question.   Air Compresser Question. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Compresser Question.
Page 1 of 1