BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rod tips

Go down 
+2
North Star
saltfisher1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 am

How do you guys keep the rod tips and other parts from icing over?
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 am

Well If Your Out Side I Just Use My Mouth Of My Fingers, Other Wise You Can Set Your Heater In Front Of You To Keep Things Thawed Out. But The Easiest Way Is To Get A Fish House To Sit In Were It Is About 80 Degrees And Warmer. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 am

What are the outside temps when you guys go ice fishing mostly?...How cold is too cold for ice fishing?

The coldest temp I ever fished in was 22 degrees in south Alabama and thats a cold temp for that area.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Well Depending On What Part Of The State You Are In, In My Area I Fish No Matter What Now Our Temps Have Been Pretty Nice The Past 5 Years Coldest On The Average +10 Or Warmer To -10 With Very Few Nights Getting Colder Than -30 Below. I Will Fish At Any Temp And Have Fished Temps As Cold As -40 Farther North Than Me, As Long As You Have A Good Shelter Buddy Your House Will Stay In The 80's For A Temp.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:51 pm

-40??????....Holy Crap....pee would freeze before hitting the ground!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:56 pm

Close, I Have Seen Temps To -50 Below, Fact That Morning I Was About 300 Miles North Of Me And When I Went Out To Start My Blazer The Starter Shattered Now That Was Cold On The Fingers Changing That. Greg When We Have Snow Storms Here The Wind Chill Temps Can Get Below -100 Degrees. LOLOL affraid
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Too cold for me.....I'd be a salty-pop-cicle. Laughing
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Greg When I Was A Young Pup Yet And My Dad Was Teaching Me How To Spear Pike Threw The Ice He Took Me Up To A Place Called Island Lake Which Is Located In North Home Minnesota Just North Of The Town Of Black Duck.
This Is The Place Were We Were Staying At.

http://www.northshorebay.com/island_lake.htm

Any Way On The Second Morning There We Got Up At 5:00 AM And Had Breakfast And Had A Good Hot Cup Of Coffee. By 6:00 AM We Were Out The Door And Yes We Were Walking Out To The Ice Shanty About A 1/2 Mile Out On The Ice, Which Had About 2 Inches Of New Snow On It Making It Very Slippery. The Reason You Want To Get Out There Early Is You Need To Chop Out The New Ice That Formed In Your Hole Over Night So That You Aren't Making All Kinds Of Noise When It's Time To Fish. O.K. Back On To The Walk Out There, When We Came In The Night Before It Had Started To Snow And Some Of The Other People That Were Out There The Night Before Had Taken There Houses Off The Ice. Well On The Way Out There I Was Carrying The Ice Chisel We Use To Open The Hole Back Up And My Dad Told Me To Hang On To That Thing In Front Of Me So That It Was Vertical With The Ice, I Had No Idea Why But I Did What He Said And I Didn't Make It Another 20 Feet And Threw The Ice I Went Right Up To My Arm Pitts And That Chisel Kept Me From Going All The Way Down, Now It Only Took Me About 45 Seconds Tops To Get Out Of That Hole That Was Covered With Snow From The Night Before Were There Was Another Fish House. This Is The Part That Really Sucked Bad, I Had To Walk Back That 1/2 Mile Back To The Cabin And Guess What My Cloths Was Soaked All The Way To The Skin And It Was -40 Below. By The Time I Was 1/2 Way Back, I Was Walking Like A Zombie LOLOL Because My Cloths Was Froze Solid To My Skin And It Was Starting To Hurt Real Bad In Some Very Tender Spots. Now I Finally Got To The Cabin I Could Not Undress For 2 Reasons 1 I Couldn't Bend Anything Because It Was Froze, And 2 My Dam Cloths Was Froze To My Skin And The Hairs On My Body, Folks I Was Crying By This Time, Hell I Was Only 9 Years Old LOLOL So What I Done Was Went In The Bath Room And Managed To Turn On The Hot Water And I Crawled Right In With Everything On. So Now If Any Of You Have Ever Had Very Cold Hands Or Feet And Know That When You Put Them Under Hot Water It Hurts Like Hell, Well That Was My Whole Body From My Chin Down And It Took About 20 Minutes To Get All That Frozen Close Off Me And Another 30 Minutes In There Just To Get My Body Temp Back To Normal. After That I Ate A Big Old Bowl Of Hot Chicken Soup And Crawled Into Bed For The Rest Of The Day, That Is One Day I Can Remember Every Little Detail Off Because I Thought I Was Going To Die I Was So Cold And I Think I Can Say Cold To The Bone. Now My Dad New Better So It Was Funny To Him And The Rest Of The Friends That Were There With Us.LOLOL You Really Have To Watch Out On The Ice It Is So Unpredictable. affraid cheers rendeer lol!
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:19 pm

Thats funny and scarey at the same time....It you would have been further away from where you had to walk to you might have gotten bad frost bite in those sensitive areas or worse....I want to see deep snow one time inmy life but I dont want to be stranded at the same time...Deepest snow I've ever seen was in 92 or 93 and it was all the way 20 miles from the gulf in alabama...3 inches deep with drifts up to a foot in the ditch. Laughing
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Lmao Thats Big For Down There, I Have Seen 20 Foot Snow Drifts Here We Use To Slide Down Peoples Roofs Till They Chased Us Away. LOLOL cheers
Back to top Go down
OhioFisher
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
OhioFisher

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm

Around here fish at about 10-20 deg farenthiet
Back to top Go down
http://ohiooutdoors.org
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 10:13 pm

After reading that story buddy, I don't think you could come up with a good enough reason for me to ever go out on the ice if it's over a foot deep. We use to fall through skating but just built a fire and dried off, but it wasn't over knee deep and sure wasn't that cold.
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am

fishing on ice 1 season so far ....i loved it ...even dtove on it .my buddy an i fished from 10 pm till like 2 am had 20 blue gills an 17 croppie ....had 3 missed fish on my tip ups. we had a blast till the sounds of the ice cracking n shifting scared the chit out of me. my buddy said it was normal.the ice tent i had was called an iggloo. nice tent ...we had it nice n warm in there to where the ice was melting we had a lanturn for light n a coleman one burner stove that screws on top of a bottle of gas for heat ....***** make sureya open ur vent cause these two will suck the air right up .we tryed to light a cig . n are lighters would only half light ! safety is a # 1 i found out. this kinda scared us n we packed up n left ......temp at the bank in town said it was -4 degrees......still think about that crazy night .....an i ask my self would i do it agian ????? ohhhh hell ya !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers ***** my buddy has fell thru the ice 11 times ....n still loves it to this day
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 am

I would love to try the ice fishing but I dont think I could handle falling through the ice...It would probably give me a heart attack no being used to it.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 am

Well It Is A Shock To The System Because The Water Is At 33 To 34 Degrees, It Sure Does Makes Things Disappear Real Fast If You Know What I Mean. Laughing Shocked pale cheers
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Any temperature I can go ice fishing, but not too windy! Last time my dad and I went ice fishing, it was 30mph windy! It is not great for tipups. I can't wait for ice fishing this winter!!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Even Though It's A Blast I Can Sure Wait For The Cold Weather, It's Been In The Low 40's These Last Few Mornings And It Has Been Out Right Chilly. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Rod tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rod tips   Rod tips I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:00 am

Sounds like my kinda fishing weather!!
Back to top Go down