BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Woman with a power tool!

Go down 
+8
Doug
jimhs
graybeard
pappy3
North Star
papa
Bernie
anchorpuller
12 posters
AuthorMessage
anchorpuller
Dime
Dime
anchorpuller

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2007-12-11

Woman with a power tool! Empty
PostSubject: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 11:36 pm

After drooling for months over a t-bar rod holder thing, I finally got one. When I went to mount it on my boat, I found that the plywood on the benches was R O T T E N. I knew it was time. So, I share with you my attempt at fixin' it up a bit.

This is my little fishing boat when I started. I had ripped the seats out months before when my aging father pulled the front one plum out of the wood. I thought it was him being a big fella. It wasn't. It was rotten wood.

Woman with a power tool! Fish001

So, I started off ripping the green plastic grass carpet out. The screws and bolts that held the plywood in place were mostly rusted and had to be hacksawed off.

Woman with a power tool! IMG_0002

Woman with a power tool! IMG_0003

After I got all the old stuff out of the boat, I blowed her out and tried to get all the old fishslime and dirt out of her.

Woman with a power tool! 5208a
Back to top Go down
anchorpuller
Dime
Dime
anchorpuller

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Off to Home Depot, aka "nail world" for some shopping. I came home armed with plywood, paint, assorted screws, bolts, nuts and washers.

After cutting one sheet of the plywood to place in the bottom of the boat for a floor, I found that it was too thin and wouldn't do for what I wanted. I took it back the next day and got some 9/16 plywood. I didn't want to go 3/4" if I could help it because of weight concerns.

I found that the 9/16ths did just fine.

Here I'm trying to fit the plywood. Did you know that you can't make a 90 degree turn with a jigsaw? Well, I learned! So, I made two cuts and then drilled a hole big enough for my jigsaw bit. Hey, it might not be how Hatteras made thier yachts, but it worked.

Woman with a power tool! Floor4

Woman with a power tool! Floor2

I'm on a very thin budget and couldn't afford the marine plywood, but needed a sealer. The Thompsons would have to be reapplied every 6 months, or so the man at Nail World said. I couldn't afford the fiberglass stuff and certainly didn't know how to use it. So, I bought a good exterior housepaint off the mistint/markdown table for $10.00. It was originally 28.00 a gallon. Who said a woman can't find a bargain? I employed, at very low wages, some manual labor.

Woman with a power tool! 5208k

Woman with a power tool! 5208e

I will update/add to shortly!
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 8:09 am

A very nice story and very nice photographs also. As the work progress's please keep us informed. You are very resourcefull Anchorpuller.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 8:37 am

Lookin mighty fine to me and looks like the younguns are having a good time also.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 8:51 am

Looking Good AP You Got Your Self Some Good Help Going There So It Shouldn't Take You Long Keep Us Informed. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:42 pm

I tell you what it looks like you made some good tight fits!! good job
Back to top Go down
anchorpuller
Dime
Dime
anchorpuller

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 12:08 am

I've managed to learn to use a circular saw, jigsaw, and now an electric stapler thingie. At least sort of. I had to hammer em in a little bit sometimes.

Someone gave me a tip about mounting my boat seats. I'll be using my old swivel mounts. Today I went on a quest to find Tee Nuts. I found 6 (six). They are ordering me some more. Cool little jobs. I'll drill me a 3/8ths inch hole in my plywood (actually four holes), put the tee nut on the backside. Then screw the bolt into the tee nut through the mount on the front side. The tee nut has little gripper things and are threaded. Should make for a sturdy mount.

Now, to mount the plywood to the metal bench. Dragger told me I can use the lip of the bench and put some bolts in there. That's great for the front of the bench. I have some toggle bolts that I might use on the backside. Not sure yet.

Here's what I have so far.

Woman with a power tool! 50608b

Woman with a power tool! 50608c

I still have to mount my trolling motor. Or at least, build a place to mount it on the front. I have a piece of angle iron and going to secure that to the front of the boat, then use a small piece of 2x4 bolted to that to make my spot to put my trolling motor. It's a transom mount that I'm planning to spin 180 and make it into a bow mount.

Still have to cut and do the front deck. I will keep it fairly small. I don't want a fishing platform, just a spot to use for mounting things and a sturdy step for entering and exiting the boat. I'll probably put my depth finder up there, although I'm not sure yet. Thinking out loud here, but might make the deck just big enough to put the two batteries under it. Will have to figure a way to level them on the bottom of the boat, though. That would put a little more weight at the front instead of all of it at the back. Besides, if the trolling motor is up there, that is where I need the battery anyway. The old motor is a pull start, so I don't need a cranking battery. The other one is for my lights at night.

Alrighty....ready for all suggestions and ideas!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 7:52 am

Sure Is Looking Nice AP, Won't Be Long And You Will Be Catching Them Big Crappie From There. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Looking good so far, AP.
Back to top Go down
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:01 am

Anchorpuller, that's just great. I'm really impressed. Couldn't have done a better job myself. I think it's really neat that some women can do things like that. I sure wish my wife could do anything. Yesterday she decided to wash all the windows of the house on the outside. By the time it was over I might as well have done it myself. It was "will you come and help me with this, will you come and help me with that" all day long. I know a couple of women who have gutted entire rooms down to the bare stud walls and remodeled them. I take my hat off to you, that's a great looking job you did there. Nice going!!!

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
Doug
Dime
Dime
Doug

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Looking good AP and you got to love that cheap labor [but I bet it ain't that cheap in the end] Laughing Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
jman
Nickel
Nickel
jman

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 8:13 pm

AP you are a skilled lady to do all that yourself. It looks good Congrats.
Back to top Go down
Dragger
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Dragger

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Looking good AP,your doing a great job, want a job?,I'm getting ready to re-do my 21ft. pontoon.............
Back to top Go down
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 2:31 am

Ap awesome job on your boat!!!! Looks like a professional did it!!!!! bet you can't wait to get it on the water!!
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Nice job,good fishin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woman with a power tool!   Woman with a power tool! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Woman with a power tool!
Page 1 of 1