BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beer night

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:28 pm

My sister is getting married in June, and when her beau found out I make home brew, he wanted me to bring some down. Sunday Vickie and I made a trip to Bloomington so I could pick up the stuff I needed from Friar Tuck's. I decided on a honey wheat beer. I bought 2 plastic jars of Breiss Bavarian Wheat unhopped malt.
Beer night 2144ms0
I also bought some Liberty hop pellets and Cascade hop pellets. They didn't actually have what I was looking for. Liberty is supposed to be somewhat spicy, and Cascade has citrus over tones.
Beer night 23h0h77
Beer night Ncmcua
I bought Munich brewer's yeast. I thought with a Bavarian malt that would work nicely. A couple days before brewing I made a yeast starter. I put some malt, honey and sterilized water in a sterilized canning jar and dumped the yeast in. Here's the yeast starter.
Beer night 10wtevb
I also picked up these Cooper priming tablets for bottling. I've always wanted to try these. It seems like it would be easier to drop one in the bottle when you fill and cap it than it is to try and get the priming sugar mixed evenly through the whole 5 gallon batch.
Beer night 2hxpsfl
Another thing I tried this time around was to sterilize small plastic food containers and fill them with sterilized water and froze them. The object is to get the wort cooled down as quickly as possible when you're done with the boil.
Basically I started with 3 gallons of water and 1 can of the malt. I dumped in 1/2 ounce of the liberty hops and turned on the heat. The water was actually boiling when I dumped in the malt. After 20 minutes I added the other 1/2 ounce of liberty hops. Once it got back to a boil I dumped in 1/2 ounce of the cascade and let it boil for 20 minutes. I then dumped in the other 1/2 ounce of cascade and let it boil for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I added the other can of malt and 1 1/2 jars of honey. I let that heat for 5 minutes. I dumped the blocks of sanitized ice in and stirred until they were melted. I topped off the fermenter with previously sterilized water to just a little over the 5 gallon line. When the wort cooled down below 90 degrees I pitched the yeast in it and sealed it with an air lock. I then put it someplace where my grandson wouldn't find it. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 am

I use to love beer more than anything and now it is hard for me to even drink, i sure wish i liked it yet as i would love to try something like this yep keep us informed how it goes buddy. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Well I racked my beer into the secondary fermenter today and added another 26 ounces of honey. I'll let it ferment in the secondary until the end of the month, then I'll bottle it.
Beer night 2luck7r
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Looking good and dark buddy, should be a strong ale or will it get lighter in color.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 12:03 am

Send me a case or 2
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:53 am

I don't think it will get any lighter. It may appear a little dark because of the blue tint to the jug. Salt come on up and pick it up. The only way I know to ship it safely is by using the spray foam like you seal around windows. But if I did that it would be a pain to chip it away from the bottles in order to drink it. Beer night 226386
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Stic a tap in the jug,it'll come right on out. Smile
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm

I plan on a road trip in a couple of years....I'll give some warning if I head that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Beer night Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer night   Beer night I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beer night
Page 1 of 1