BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error Empty
PostSubject: Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error   Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:52 am

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Police launched an international search for two New Zealanders who allegedly took the money and ran after a bank mistakenly put 10 million New Zealand dollars ($6.1 million) into their account.

The couple, who operated a gas station in the northern city of Rotorua, applied to Westpac Bank for a NZ$10,000 ($6,000) overdraft, but 1,000 times that amount was paid into their account. The two then withdrew some of the money and disappeared, Detective Senior Sgt. David Harvey said.

Westpac said Thursday it considered the money to be stolen, but conceded it was human error at the bank that made the couple accidental millionaires. Authorities did not release their identities.

Harvey said Interpol has been contacted for help, suggesting authorities believe they may have fled abroad with the cash.

"We are currently conducting an investigation into the individuals that may have been involved in the withdrawal of that money," Harvey said.

Westpac spokesman Craig Dowling said the huge deposit appeared to be the result of human error. He said the bank had recovered some of the money but declined to give details about the case.

Westpac Bank said in a statement it was "pursuing vigorous criminal and civil action to recover the sum of money stolen," but declined further comment.

Banking Ombudsman Liz Brown said it is generally considered a criminal offense for people to spend money accidentally deposited into a bank account if they are aware that the cash is not theirs.

In her 15 years as banking Ombudsman, Brown said she had been involved in 10 to 20 similar cases.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error   Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm

WOW!~! Sounds like someone is in trouble. Should be on BOTH sides of that fence!
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error   Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Big time search if they are getting Interpol involved
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error   Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:08 pm

I do believe I am going to transfer my pennies to that bank soon. Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error 546655 Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error 546655
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error   Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error
Page 1 of 1