BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Fishing Bill

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 am

Minnesota anglers could have one line rigged with bait and a bobber while casting with a spinner on a second line under a bill in the House.

"It makes the sport more enjoyable when the fish aren't biting," said Rep. Al Juhnke, DFL-Willmar, the bill's author.

He told fellow lawmakers the bill allowing anglers to always fish with two lines fits better with what surrounding states allow and could give Minnesota a new source of revenue. Currently, anglers in Minnesota can use two lines only in border waters or while ice fishing.

The bill was heard Monday in the House Game, Fish and Forestry Division. Similar legislation has passed the House before but has met opposition in the Senate.

Juhnke testified that he's received calls and letters from anglers and resort owners from across Minnesota urging the two-line limit. But four people testified against the bill on Monday, saying it could put the state's fishery at risk.

"It's not a fishery population issue, it's a quality issue," said Ed Boggess, deputy director of the Division of Fish and Wildlife for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Boggess said putting more lines in the water would result in more fish being caught, potentially causing more stress on the fish, sometimes leading to death. The DNR might have to respond with more restrictions on certain lakes if that became an issue, Boggess said.

Shawn Kellett, president of the Twin Cities chapter of Muskies Inc., said allowing anglers to use two lines for muskie could be especially harmful. Anglers distracted by having two lines might not reel in a muskie right away, leading the fish to swallow the hook and eventually die, he said.

"The bill is more about angler greed than creating a better fishery," Kellett said. "If the fishery isn't what it is now, people won't come to our resorts from out of state anyway."

But Juhnke said states like Wisconsin haven't had problems with the quality of their fisheries in allowing multiple lines.

He also said the bill could bring in potential revenue if the DNR were to make anglers buy an extra stamp to fish with two lines. For example, if the stamp cost $10, the state could bring in an additional $1 million a year, Juhnke said.

Sen. Satveer Chaudhary, DFL-Fridley, said he still opposes the bill.

Chaudhary, chairman of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee, has said the change could hurt Minnesota's conservation efforts.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:05 pm

I hope they get the bill passed! We've been using two lines for years and it hasn't hurt the fish population. Hell, in TX you can use up to 100 hooks combined on any device. That's a LOT of poles LOLOL. Their fish population isn't hurting either.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 pm

I think they need limits on poles and hooks in all states just due to some folks are equipped with common sense.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 am

Illinois you can have up to 50 hooks at one time, two hooks per rod and more than two rods you have to have your name and addy on them, which is a good idea anyway.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:34 pm

In Texas you were allowed up to 100 hooks combined. Meaning you could use as many poles etc. as you wanted as long as you didn't go over 100 hooks. Here in Ohio, we are allowed 2 poles only, with up to 3 hooks per line.
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:00 pm

That's why I like to use dynamite. There's no hooks in the water!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Fishing Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Fishing Bill   New Fishing Bill I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Fishing Bill
Page 1 of 1