BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Firearm Bill

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

New Firearm Bill Empty
PostSubject: New Firearm Bill   New Firearm Bill I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:29 am

Minnesotans are feeling the impact of a tragic death that sparked a bill called the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009.

Back in 2007, 16-year-old Blair Holt, an honor student from Chicago, was shot on a school bus.

If implemented, this bill would prohibit people from owning any type of handgun without obtaining a license, furthermore, fire arms dealers would need to become licensed as well.

The other side of the argument wants a more accurate system of registering and tracking guns.

If you own a firearm, the bill would make not having a license a punishable crime.

So far the bill has only made it through the first two of six steps needed to pass.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

New Firearm Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Firearm Bill   New Firearm Bill I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am

I spent most of my years in Michigan and that state had a 1935 law that was used. In order to buy a hand gun you first had to get a purchase permit from the police. One time the local police just dragged their feet and it took me 6 months to get that permit. And to even fill out the permit you need to have it notorized. After that delay I started going to the County Sheriff's department and they were always very co-operative and told me to keep coming back. They were very nice about it.

So then after you got you hands on the handgun you then had to take it into the police and they would issue a "Safety Inspection" paper which was really just registering it with the Michigan State Police and also the locals. There was even a time element to get the thing registered, I think it was 5 days.

All the above was also required when getting a handgun from a private individual.

Also there were no carrying licenses or permits issued unless you were a big wig of some sort. Finally after Florida and a few other states started issueing carry licenses Michigan did the same thing and I got one of the first ones out.

Today I do not know how they are handling the handgun business. Down here in Florida it is much easier. Why just two weeks ago I purchased another handgun from a dealer and I was in and out of that shop in about 15 minutes with the new gun in hand. The time is used to fill out the federal background check paper and for the dealer to make the phone call. If you have a carry license there is no waiting period.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

New Firearm Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Firearm Bill   New Firearm Bill I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 am

Some of the firearms laws they are trying to pass will only hurt folks in the long run...some of the laws need to be changed though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Firearm Bill Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Firearm Bill   New Firearm Bill I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Firearm Bill
Page 1 of 1