BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

over a joy ride ....so said but ....

Go down 
+3
saltfisher1
North Star
marlboro920
7 posters
AuthorMessage
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

over a joy ride ....so said but .... Empty
PostSubject: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 7:36 am

that fatal fight broke out
By AARON MARTIN
Staff Reporter

JUNEAU — A Harley Davidson that went missing from the parking lot of Kinda Country Tavern April 27 sparked a scuffle that caused a fatal spinal injury to 46-year-old Michael Zuhlke of Beaver Dam.

Although no criminal charges were filed in Zuhlke's death, a jury ruled Wednesday that a husband and wife from Beaver Dam are guilty of taking the motorcycle without the owner's consent, or joy riding.

Jeffrey A. Koch, 35, and Ingrid L. Martinez Koch, 38, were both found guilty of taking and abandoning a vehicle without the owner's consent Wednesday after a three-day trial. The Kochs will face up to nine months in jail and a $10,000 fine when they return to Dodge County Circuit Court for sentencing March 30.

According to the criminal complaint, when Michael Zuhlke and his brother Joseph Zuhlke left Kinda Country, W7523 Highway C, town of Trenton, at bar time on April 24, they discovered Joseph's motorcycle missing from the parking lot. The brother's confronted bar manager Brian Schultz about the missing bike, and soon Michael Zuhlke and Schultz were engaged in a struggle in the parking lot. Joseph tackled both Schultz and his brother, and when all three fell to the ground, Michael Zuhlke suffered the fatal spinal injury.

Gregory Wood, who was working as a bouncer at the time, stated in the complaint that he saw the Kochs put a motorcycle in the garage around 1:30 a.m.

The Kochs both told investigators they had been "extremely intoxicated," and had vague recollections of the night's events.

Dodge County District Attorney Bill Bedker said, "The state's case against the Kochs rested primarily upon the eye-witness testimony of a sober bouncer who clearly testified that they were the ones who took Joseph Zuhlke's motorcycle and operated it into the garage."

Scott Rasmussen, the Kochs attorney, said he presented evidence that someone else had moved the motorcycle into the garage.

"We thought that the verdict would be different based on the evidence," he said. "There were witnesses on both sides who were credible. I think it was a hard decision for the jury to make . . . to decide which witnesses to believe, and they believed the witness from the state."

Bedker said, "The defense tried to suggest that this bouncer somehow colluded with the bar manager to wrongfully pin this on the Kochs, but there really was no credible evidence to support this theory in my opinion."

Rasmussen said his clients maintain their innocence and the case hasn't been covered fairly in the press.

"I haven't liked the media coverage of this because they associate the death of Michael Zuhlke with the taking of the motorcycle, and it actually doesn't have anything to do with it because Michael Zuhlke was extremely intoxicated and he started a fight at the bar. The fight he started led to his death. Just because somebody took his brother's motorcycle doesn't give him the right to start a fight."

Although the Kochs maintain their innocence in the case, others have speculated as to what their motive to hide the motorcycle could have been.

"The state is not required to prove motive," Bedker said. "I really can't say for sure though what the motivation was. I do know though that the Kochs' actions set in motion a very tragic set of events."

amartin@capitalnewspapers.com
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 8:48 am

What can one say when the justice system is so out of whack, the man that died will have no justice and i have heard this many many times and that is because there was alcohol in involved. From just this story yes i see that the fight should have not have happen, but it did and it did because of 2 other people that couldn't leave there hands off of something that wasn't theirs. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 11:27 am

Thats crazy stuff.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 12:23 pm

Very well said, Mike! People can be so stupid at times!
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Forest Gump said it....stupid is as stupid does.
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 28, 2009 6:21 pm

SAD INDEED Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: over a joy ride ....so said but ....   over a joy ride ....so said but .... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

over a joy ride ....so said but ....
Page 1 of 1