BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago Empty
PostSubject: Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago   Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 am

PATNA, India (Reuters) – An Indian court sentenced a 75-year-old doctor to jail for accepting half a dollar as a bribe nearly a quarter of a century ago, officials said Wednesday.

India's federal police caught Balgovind Prasad accepting 25 rupees (51 cents) from a sweeper in 1985 for issuing a fake medical certificate, police said.

The case dragged on for years and Prasad was convicted in 1992 and given a one-year jail term. He was freed as he appealed the sentence.

Tuesday, a higher court in India's eastern state of Bihar state reduced the one-year term to three months, saying the bribe amount was too small, but directed the police to take Prasad into custody as he was guilty of the crime.

"The case was also dragging and the bribe money was too small, so Prasad thought he would get a reprieve from the court," prosecution lawyer Vipin Kumar Sinha told reporters after the verdict. "But all the charges has been proved against him."

Indian justice is often delivered at a glacial pace and a case can drag for decades with endless hearings.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago   Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

Well he should have just bought a coke
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago   Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:18 am

That's just about stupid...LOL....
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago   Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Some folks are down right cheap aint they.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago   Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago
Page 1 of 1