BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication Empty
PostSubject: USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication   USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am

BISMARCK, N.D. – Federal wildlife officials are taking applications from farmers who want the government to remove cattail-infested wetlands, the preferred habitat of sunflower-snacking blackbirds.

Phil Mastrangelo, the state director for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services agency, said applications will be accepted from Wednesday until June.

More than 60,000 acres of cattail marshes in North Dakota have been destroyed since 1991, to try to keep blackbirds from attacking sunflower fields, he said.

Cattail eradication leaves blackbirds without a place to nest or roost and makes them more vulnerable to predators, said Larry Kleingartner, executive director of the Bismarck-based National Sunflower Association.

"It has been the most effective tool we have in dealing with blackbirds," he said.

Last year in North Dakota, about 3,700 acres of wetlands in seven counties were treated, Mastrangelo said.

A herbicide is applied in late summer from a helicopter, at a cost to the government of about $22 an acre, Mastrangelo said. The agency had hoped to treat double the amount of wetlands last year but the cost of the herbicide doubled, he said.

"The increased cost in herbicide reduced the amount of acres we could treat," Mastrangelo said.

The amount of acres that will be treated this year is still unknown, he said.

"We won't know for at least a couple of months if the herbicide stabilizes in price, goes up or hopefully goes down," he said.

The program targets only cattails on private land and is free to sunflower farmers.
....more... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_bi_ge/farm_scene_killing_cattails;_ylt=Am3FuyADi5UYwXtDSOXq_R4PLBIF
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication   USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 am

Man i wish there was a program like that here we have endless acres of that crap here including on my land, now it's also good nesting for pheasants but they can nest in other areas that they can nest, i sure hope to see this here some time soon. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication   USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:40 pm

I used to see cattails everywhere around home but folks picked them all for flower arrangements and such.
Back to top Go down
Rockhound
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Rockhound

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication   USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Young cattail root are good eating, taste a little like sweet potato"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication   USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

USDA taking applications for Cattail eradication
Page 1 of 1