BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More species invasions feared for Great Lakes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

More species invasions feared for Great Lakes Empty
PostSubject: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. – Dozens of foreign species could spread across the Great Lakes in coming years despite policies designed to keep them out, causing significant environmental and economic damage, a federal report says.

The National Center for Environmental Assessment issued the warning in a study released this week. It identified 30 nonnative species that pose a medium or high risk of reaching the lakes and 28 others that already have a foothold and could disperse widely.

Among the fish that scientists fear could cause ecological and environmental damage are the monkey goby, the blueback herring and the tench, also known as the "doctor fish."

The report described some of the region's busiest ports as strong potential targets for invaders, including Toledo, Ohio; Gary, Ind.; Duluth, Minn.; Superior, Wis.; Chicago and Milwaukee.

"These findings support the need for detection and monitoring efforts at those ports believed to be at greatest risk," the report said.

Exotic species are one of the biggest ecological threats to the nation's largest surface freshwater system. At least 185 are known to have a presence in the Great Lakes, although the report says just 13 have done extensive harm to the aquatic environment and the regional economy.....more..... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_on_re_us/great_lakes_invasives;_ylt=Ar1rXI9zaHplr3V0BXjsXKwPLBIF
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:54 am

This is just a thought but before these ships are allowed into our waters from were these issues are at, they should use some kind of a shock or electrocution still treatment to rid any of these aquatic things from the ship, i might be wrong just a thought.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:36 pm

That species invasion crap isd everywhere...Tampa Bay is infested with some type of asian clan...Killed all the oysters.
Back to top Go down
Rockhound
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Rockhound

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:40 pm

Yep, and it will get worse"
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Man, thats not really good....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More species invasions feared for Great Lakes   More species invasions feared for Great Lakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More species invasions feared for Great Lakes
Page 1 of 1