BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??

Go down 
+2
North Star
papa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? Empty
PostSubject: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 4:24 pm

OK the instructions say to oil it up and bake it at 400 degrees for 2 hours, what if it is a little hotter, will it hurt it??
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Well I"m hoping it all went ok, it's in the grill cooling down now, I use the grill to do it due to the smoke, wife wouldn't be able to take it in here. It got up to 500 in the beginning but then I got it set almost perfect for the rest of the time, of course it had to start raining during that time but it held it's tem good so guess I'll see.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Just went out and got it, it looks like it did just fine, It stuck to the grill in one spot but that is on the rim so I think It will be ok. Sure looks nice now that it's black, just waiting for the rain to go away so I can try it out now.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Sorry I Wasn't Around Buddy To Help You Out, Being At 500 Degrees For A Short Time Won't Hurt It At All. My Wife Beth Does Ours When We Get New Ones I Love The Fry Pans For Cooking Both Indoors And Out Doors When Camping Or Just Cooking Out, Glad Things Went Good For You PAPA. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:20 pm

You cant beat a iron skillet for country cookin,my wife loves them things.When you wash it,dont dry it,let it air dry,it wont rust long as you seasoned it good.
Back to top Go down
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Nothing better than cast iron, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 am

I've got a bunch of cast iron crap that was given too me and its way too rough to even cook in....Wenzel cast iron stuff.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 8:31 pm

You Could Always Have It Sand Blasted And Clean It Up And Re-season Them Buddy. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 pm

We got a cast iron cornbread muffin pan at BPS a while back and it was pre-seasoned. The muffins are shaped like fish.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Over all you can't beat cast iron, I have a couple of other ones I like too but you can't put them in the oven or on the grill, so had to get some more cast iron. Just got a 12 frying pan too. I already had a 10" Griswold, so got two fryers and one Dutch oven now and my other two pans I like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??   SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SEASONING YOUR CAST IRON??
Page 1 of 1