BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paddlefish/Spoonbill

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Paddlefish/Spoonbill Empty
PostSubject: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Other names - spoonbill, spoonbill cat, spadefish, shovelfish, shovel-billed cat, duck-billed cat

These fish are most often collected and observed in the Great Border Rivers; however, it is not unusual for anglers to take them in the lower portion of the Des Moines, Cedar, Iowa and, Skunk rivers. It was formerly rather common but is now absent in East and West Okoboji Lakes and Spirit Lake.

The color of the paddlefish is slate-gray to gray-blue above, fading to somewhat lighter beneath. They can be easily distinguished from all other Iowa fishes by the immensely elongated snout, extremely long gill covers and shark-like mouth. The skeleton is largely cartilaginous. Jaws and palate of young specimens are covered with numerous fine teeth, but the jaws become large, feeble and toothless as the fish reaches maturity. The body is naked, or scaleless. Paddlefish are in many respects one of the most primitive of fishes but are highly specialized in others. It is a remnant of ancient life, differing from other fishes by its elongated paddlelike snout, long gill covers and shark-like body form. It was formerly abundant in the Mississippi valley, but over-exploitation, changes in environmental conditions, or both, have reduced its numbers to a point where it is no longer common except in certain places along the river.

The large size and bizarre shape have made paddlefish particularly interesting to the layman and scientist alike. Specimens over six feet long have been taken from the state, placing it at or near the top of the list for "big fish" honors. The current state record is a 107-pound fish taken from the Missouri River in Monona County during 1981. Early growth of paddlefish is rapid with the fish reaching 10 to 14 and 21 to 24 inches in their second and third years of life. Seventeen-year-old fish average nearly 60 inches in length and weigh about 37 pounds. Paddlefish are long-lived fish with 20 years being common and 30 years or more not unusual. The larger individual fish are females.

Paddlefish feed primarily on zooplankton and insect larvae. The food organisms are filtered from the water by the gill rakers as the fish swims about with its mouth agape. They have no apparent home range and move about freely in shallow water or near the surface in slow moving current, where foraging conditions are favorable.

Different theories have been forwarded regarding the function of the paddle-like snout. It has been suggested that it is used to stir up the bottom to facilitate feeding, serves as a "rudder" to guide the fish and/or is a sense organ for the detection of food organisms. The paddlefish is not a bottom feeder and the snout possesses an elaborate system of sense organs, making the latter theory appear logical as the primary function of the appendage.

Paddlefish spawn in April and May when water temperature is around 55-60 degrees F. The spawning run up the larger streams is closely associated with periods of high flow. Spawning activity takes place over flooded gravel bars. It is assumed that the female starts spawning in the deeper water and completes a spawning "rush" at the surface of the water at which time rapid agitation of the caudal fin can be seen above the surface of the water. The female is accompanied by one or more males on this rush.

Studies in Iowa indicate that most male paddlefish mature at age VI and VII. Females mature at a greater age and produce approximately 7,500 eggs per pound of body weight. The fertilized eggs are adhesive and attach to the first material they contact. Hatching success is highest on clean-swept gravel where siltation is least and aeration is good. Paddlefish eggs hatch in seven days or less at temperatures of 65-70 degrees F. The larvae begin swimming immediately after hatching and are swept downstream into pool areas.

Commercial fishermen harvest about 100,000 pounds annually in the upper Mississippi River, between St. Louis and the Iowa-Minnesota state line. This figure represents slightly less than one percent of the total commercial food-fish harvest. Sport angling for paddlefish has recently become popular, particularly in tailwater areas in the Mississippi River.

*Mayhew, J. (editor). 1987. Iowa Fish and Fishing. Iowa Department of Natural Resources, Des Moines, Iowa. 323 pp.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 6:45 pm

Good information! Thanks Mike
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Great info Mike..Thanks for sharing..
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Thems some ugly fish...If I was swimming and seen one of those I'd probably crap my pants trying to get away from it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Great info Mike. Have you ever caught one? They fight alot like carp. The only one I have ever caught was on a 10 foot heavy action rod and the fish only weighed about 15 pounds hooked in the mouth. Even with the heavy rod and small fish, it was still one of the hardest fights I have had. I couldn't imagine having one hooked in the tail, 2 or 3 times the size, and in current. Mine was pretty neat though as it didn't have a bill. Just a couple of nubs/growths. I have some pictures on an old roll of film we never developed. I doubt they are any good but I am still going to take them and have them developed just to see. If they are still good I will scan them and post some pics up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paddlefish/Spoonbill   Paddlefish/Spoonbill I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paddlefish/Spoonbill
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BIG FISH MIDWEST :: Game Fish/Rough Fish :: Lets Talk Game Fish/Rough Fish-
Jump to: