BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Columbia And Snake Rivers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Columbia And Snake Rivers Empty
PostSubject: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:48 am

Well Mike I guess I'll start this and maybe Don (Shortshank) can add to it.

The two largest rivers in Oregon that are close to where I'm from are the Willamette River that runs through downtown Portland, and of course the other is the Columbia River that starts out in Canada and runs down through the state of Washington, then turns West and divides the states of Washington and Oregon before it dumps into the Pacific Ocean. Probably the biggest tributaries to the Columbia are the Willamette in Portland and the Snake River coming out of Idaho.

COLUMBIA AND SNAKE RIVER SYSTEM
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIAANDSNAKERIVERDAMS2

The Willamette River has for many many years had a real nice run of Spring Chinook Salmon. That run has declined badly over the past 20 to 25 years. Some say it is because they have introduced so many hatchery bred fish into the run and that those fish are what are referred to as "non-biters." It doesn't matter what you put in front of them, they will not bite. The Willamette also holds Sturgeon, but not in the numbers that the Columbia does. The biggest fish are usually caught up at Willamette Falls in Oregon City, which is about 15 miles upstream of downtown Portland. Around Memorial day every year there is a really big run of Shad in the Willamette as well as the Columbia.

WILAMETTE FALLS AT OREGON CITY
Columbia And Snake Rivers WILLAMETTEFALLS

The Columbia River is a very big river and is navigable by the biggest of tugs and barges at least up to Priest Rapids Dam, but am not sure if they go up beyond that point or not. There are 11 Hydroelectric Dams in the Columbia in Oregon and Washington, and at least three more beyond that in Canada.

The Columbia River has runs of Chinook (King) and Coho (Silver) Salmon. As for the Salmon there are the Sping and Fall runs. The fall run Chinook are what they call the "Upriver Brights" and can weigh as much as 60 t0o70 lbs. It has a fairly good population of Sturgeon, the bigger fish reaching lengths of up to 14 feet long. It also has Steelhead, Laremouth and Smallmouth bass, Bullheads, Crappie, Bluegill, Perch, Walleye, and a huge run of American Shad once a year. I've probably left out a species or two but it is a large fishery.

Here are the Hydroelectric Dams on the Columbia River starting with Bonneville Dam which is the first dam in the system as you head upstream from the ocean.

BONNEVILLE DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers BONNEVILLEDAM

THE DALLES DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers THEDALLESDAM

THE JOHN DAY DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers JOHNDAYDAM

McNARY DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers McNARYDAM

PRIEST RAPIDS DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers PRIESTRAPIDSDAM

WANAPUM DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers WANAPUMDAM

ROCK ISLAND DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers ROCKISLANDDAM

ROCKY REACH DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers ROCKYREACHDAM

WELLS DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers WELLSDAM

CHIEF JOSEPH DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers CHIEFJOSEPHDAM

GRAND COULEE DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers GRANDCOULEEDAM

The Snake River too has runs of Salmon and Steelhead. Hells Canyon Dam is as far as these fish can go however, because there are no fish ladders at the Hells Canyon Dam.

The Snake River system has real good populations of Large and Small Mouth Bass, Crappie, Perch, Bluegill, Trout, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish and I'm told Blue Catfish, but I'm not 100% sure about the Blues. It also has Carp, Squawfish, Bullheads, Sculpins and probably some more that I've left out.

The Snake River is also another fairly large river that can be navigated by the same tugs and barges that travel the Columbia. I'm not 100% sure how far up the Snake they can go, but I'm pretty sure they can go beyond Little Goose Dam.

Here are pictures of the Hydroelectric Dams on the Snake River beginning with the first one up from it's mouth at the Columbia River.

ICE HARBOR DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers ICEHARBORDAM

LOWER MONUMENTAL DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers LOWERMONUMENTALDAM

LITTLE GOOSE DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers LITTLEGOOSEDAM

LOWER GRANITE DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers LOWERGRANITEDAM

HELLS CANYON DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers HELLSCANYONDAM

OXBOW DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers OXBOWDAM

BROWNLEE DAM
Columbia And Snake Rivers BROWNLEEDAM

Here are some more pictures of fish taken from the Columbia and Snake Rivers. I don't know any of these people these are pictures I got off the internet.

COLUMBIA RIVER SMALLMOUTH
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIABASS

COLUMBIA RIVER FALL CHINOOK
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIASALMON

COLUMBIA RIVER SALMON
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIASALMON2

COLUMBIA RIVER STEELHEAD
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIASTEELHEAD

COLUMBIA RIVER STURGEON
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIASTURGEON

COLUMBIA RIVER STURGEON
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIASTURGEON2

COLUMBIA RIVER WALLEYE
Columbia And Snake Rivers COLUMBIAWALLEYE

SNAKE RIVER STURGEON
Columbia And Snake Rivers SNAKERIVERSTURGEON

Well that's a good start on those two rivers anyway. I might add to this post from time to time.

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 am

Jim That Is A Great Read Buddy And I Really Enjoyed That Pictures, It Really Looks Like It Is A Great Fishery For You. Them Are Some Monster Fish Those Guy's Are Holding And Fish Like That Are Hard To Come By, Thanks For Putting That All Together And Sharing With Us. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 am

Great post Jim good reading!!! I liked the pictures!!
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Awesome post!
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:32 am

Great post Jim...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Columbia And Snake Rivers   Columbia And Snake Rivers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Columbia And Snake Rivers
Page 1 of 1