BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big Male Bluegills

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Big Male Bluegills Empty
PostSubject: Big Male Bluegills   Big Male Bluegills I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I learned something interesting about the bluegill the other day and I wanted to pass on the information to you all. I think if more of us are aware of this, we could potentially improve the quality of our bluegill fishing in the area.

The big thing when you are out fishing for bluegills is know which ones to keep and which ones to let go.

So this summer as a person is fishing the spawning beds of the bluegill or anytime for that matter here is what you would want to do in order to help increase the size structure in the lake.

Basically, you want to throw back the big mature males that have a large ear flap or ear tab, black in color and extended posteriorly (tailward). Vivid coloration and burgundy colors on breast. Lots of black tips on scales.

These fish have good genetics and need to be released in order to pass on their traits.

You are keeping fish to eat, you want to keep the smaller males and the females. It is ok to keep some females because bluegills are very prolific spawners and will spawn two to three times a summer. If you can keep the smaller males, those are fish you want out of the lake.

The small males look like females and when the big males aren't close to the nest, they go and deposit their sperm, which passes on the small traits.

Study the pictures from the link and learn to tell the difference between them.

Of course there other factors that help to grow big bluegills, but this is what private pond owners do to grow pounders in their ponds. Up until a few weeks ago, I didn't know the difference, but I am definitely going to be more choosy this summer of what I keep.

So I hope this helps educate my fellow fishermen and maybe we can have a few lakes around here with bluegills over 8 inches.

Here are the studies I referenced click on the word lines....

Effect of Population Size Structure on Reproductive Investment of Male Bluegill

Male Reproductive Competition and Sex-Specific Growth Patterns in Bluegill

A Comparison of Bluegill Reproductive St...ing Intensities
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Big Male Bluegills Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Male Bluegills   Big Male Bluegills I_icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm

wow good info mike ty ...i dont normally fish for gills but i will keep this in mind ......here i dont think any body cares ....we have a lot of people that come from milwakee n fish ....an they will keep any thing they catch weather its leagal length or not .... when the game warden shows up they just hide there fish n get away with it every time No
Back to top Go down

Big Male Bluegills
Page 1 of 1