BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

dill pickles

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 pm

For the last 3 years I've tried canning dill pickles. I have used Mrs. Dash quick process pickle mix, and mixed up my own mix using fresh ingredients. Every time I made them the pickles were mushy. I found a refrigerator recipe that I really like.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1936,145170-248201,00.html
Here's a dill pickle recipe that I tried tonight. http://www.recipezaar.com/Dill-Pickles-by-the-Jar-101082
It will take about 6 weeks for this one. I think I'm going to use the same brine to make some dill green beans.
The $50,000 question is how do you can dill pickles and not have them go soft? It almost seems like they process too long and get mushy. I guess maybe I need to give up hot water processing pickles. Anyone have any tips?
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818
Registration date : 2007-12-07

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:45 am

Have you tried pickle crisp? That's what I always used....And mine was never mushy...Also I only put mine in a hot water bath for maybe 5 minutes....With the vinegar ...You really don't need to process them to long...Because that will make them mushy....
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:36 am

Do you start counting the time when you put the jars in? Or do you bring the water to a boil after you put the jars in and then start counting the time? What I've been doing is bringing the water to a boil after the jars were in. Maybe that's the problem because it takes about 10 minutes to bring it back to boil after the jars are in.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am

Ok i love refrigerator pickles yum yum yum, Now i have never made my own pickles as of yet but that will change this year so this post is pretty cool. Ridge i know what ya mean about soft pickle, now even though my mothers pickles we good and still are there just not crisp like you would like them to be. That second recipe is one that i may just have to try, what kinda get to me on this recipe is they talk about them fermenting lolol so i think i m ay just do a few jars that way for the first time to see if i like them other wise im going to stick to the lye method that my mom did for years just add a bit more. Great post ridge i will be keeping an eye on this one for sure because i need to learn a bit about this so post away the recipes folks. lolol cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 am

pickle crisp? im going to look into this also. study dill pickles 718230
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:32 am

My water is already hot...Slow boiling....Then I lower my jars into the water all at one time....And that's when I start my count....
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: one more time   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 am

Well I'm going to try one more time. I have the pickles soaking in ice water. I'm using Mrs. Wages pickle mix and my fresh dill. I have a temperature gage and I'm going to process at 185 degrees for 5 minutes. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how they turn out.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Good luck!!!!...
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: success   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Well it worked! I'm stoked. I was a little concerned about only processing for 5 minutes, but the jars sealed. I kept a thermometer in the water and it dropped down to 195 after putting the jars in. Which is still well above pasteurizing temperatures. So I guess the ice bath and proper processing times helps. Thanks for all the information folks.
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:16 pm

I knew you could do it Ridge!!!!!!! Now enjoy them...... dill pickles 979382
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:46 am

Glad to hear it worked, Ridge!~! Hope you enjoy those pickles!~!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

dill pickles Empty
PostSubject: Re: dill pickles   dill pickles I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dill pickles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BIG FISH MIDWEST :: Introductions/Questions :: The Bait Shop-
Jump to: