BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Week #59

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Week #59 Empty
PostSubject: Week #59   Week #59 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:32 am

Fish Tacos.

Now, I had heard of – and seen on several menus – fish tacos, but I had never tasted any. Sounded a bit strange at first, but the idea grew on me and I decided to try to make some. I’m glad I did, because the results were incredibly good and the recipe is really easy

Ingredients.

1 Taco Kit, complete with crispy corn tortilla shells and taco seasoning packet

4 small to medium sized fish fillets (~ 12-16 oz. total)

1/4 C flour

1/4 C bread crumbs

Fixin's, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, beans, etc.

Directions.

Soak fillets -- I used walleye this time, but I’ll guarantee you that just about any fish will work well -- in an egg and milk mixture for about an hour to help revive the flavor if the fish have been frozen for awhile. (Fresh fish require less soaking time.) Cut off and discard any visible freezer burned flesh.
Thoroughly mix 1 package of your favorite taco seasoning (I like Ortega best -- it has less sodium in it…) with about 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs in a large plastic bag.
Remove the fish from the egg wash, cut it into bite-size chunks and put all the pieces in a plastic bag with the taco-seasoned flour mix; shake well to fully and evenly coat the fish.
To a pre-heated/very hot pan (non-stick works best, but a heavy-gauge aluminum pan or cast iron works quite well too) add about two tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Note: heat the pan first and then add the oil and butter!Add the fish pieces to the pan -- a few at a time until all pieces are in the pan -- and allow them to get well-browned on all sides. The best way to do this is to move the pan back and forth while moving the fish pieces with a wooden or non-stick spatula.Place several pieces of fish into warmed taco shells, add your favorite fixin's, top with some salsa and there you have it!

The meal was quick and easy to prepare and the results were outstanding! We like to buy dried pinto beans and make our own refried's; along with some freshly sauteed zucchini, onions and mushrooms, they make a great addition to this meal. Next time I head to the lake, I'm bringing along a taco kit and betting that the fresh perch from the lake will really make for a great fish taco meal. Enjoy!

As always, I hope to see you On the Lake!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Week #59 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week #59   Week #59 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:55 am

Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Week #59 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week #59   Week #59 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:30 am

That sounds really good, Mike. You're right, sounds kind of strange, but I bet it is very good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Week #59 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Week #59   Week #59 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Week #59
Page 1 of 1