BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

heres a way to feed the hungry....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

heres a way to feed the hungry.... Empty
PostSubject: heres a way to feed the hungry....   heres a way to feed the hungry.... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:51 am

university researchers
By Sharif Durhams of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Mar. 6, 2009 1:22 p.m.

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Great Lakes WATER Institute have been trying to figure out ways to raise fish more quickly.

They've figured it out. And now hungry families in the Milwaukee area will benefit by getting a chance to sample the research that's packing the researchers' freezers.

The WATER Institute will give 500 pounds of yellow perch filets to the Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee Friday afternoon.

The donation is the first of its kind for the task force, which give free food to the hungry through a network of food pantries, soup kitchens and homeless shelters. The filets would sell for about $7,000, the university says.

The Task Force has received a 25% boost in monthly food pantry participation during the past year, the group's director said in a news release from the WATER Institute.

University researchers have found ways to cut the time needed to raise yellow perch and to raise them year round. They hope they can use the same system to raise walleye, crappie and other fish.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: heres a way to feed the hungry....   heres a way to feed the hungry.... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:06 am

Good deal!
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: heres a way to feed the hungry....   heres a way to feed the hungry.... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 am

That is awesome, Scott! Hopefully they can also raise the other fish more quickly too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heres a way to feed the hungry....   heres a way to feed the hungry.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

heres a way to feed the hungry....
Page 1 of 1