BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who Still Fishes For Them

Go down 
+4
marlboro920
graybeard
Bernie
North Star
8 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Who Still Fishes For Them Empty
PostSubject: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Who Still Fishes For The Bullhead.???

And Is There A Favorite One To Catch Meaning The Yellow Or Brown ECT ECT ECT.???

I Don't Eat Them Any More Because I Ate Way To Many When I Was A Kid, But I Sure Have Caught So Real Nice Ones In My Day. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Heck; I don't fish for them anymore. As a kid in the 40's though that was the main fish to fall back on. About 1/2 block out our back door I could catch all the bullheads that I wanted. So as a kid I branched out and went to suckers, blue gills and the sun fish was a trophy. But it was always nice to catch a bull head in that old place.

Also that bullhead place had many fallen trees and logs. The water was muddy so that you could not see anything. Yet us boys went swimming in there often. We would cut off vines and swing out over the water and drop in as we did Tarzan Calls. I often wondered in later years just how a kid could dive in that murcky water between tree branches and not be afraid. Somehow that did not bother us kids. We just had fun and we did survive.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 5:24 pm

we did lots of crazy stuff when we were kids didn't we Bernie, heck my kids still do some of that stuff. lol! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Yup
Back to top Go down
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 6:11 pm

When I was a kid, we used to go to Waterville and fish for bullheads. Brought em in by the bucketful. Nowadays, I don't know of anyone who fishes for them much. After we found out about crappies and sunfish, bullheads weren't so much fun anymore.
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:36 pm

hey i found a nifty way to un hook a bait stealer errrrr i mean a bull head .....take ur needle nose plyers ...get ahold of the hook an shake back an forth fast an they drop right off ..... i know sounds ruff but it beats retieing ur hook or rippin out there guts ..... happyness is a tight line Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Ya and then there was the mess of cleaning them little rascals. We would girth them with a knife and put a nail throught the head onto a board and pull off the skin with pliers. Is there an easier way?
Back to top Go down
Rockhound
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Rockhound

Number of posts : 596

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 5:23 pm

And you stick your finger in ones mouth, and it clamps down like a pair of visegrips, OUCH!!! I still catch them for flathead bait"
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 11:59 pm

I still would if I still could Sad But I grew up in Jersey with one heck of a polluted creek behind my house that held nothing but Bullheads and Carp and you could catch bullheads as Greybeard said by the bucketfull but the catch was ya couldnt eat any so the population was always filled it was a great getaway when you were bored just go rummage through Moms compost pile in the back grab a couple dozen wigglers and walla' something to beat the boredom for the next 4 hours Smile. We also used to catch them in Canada at night off the dock at the cabin and they were delicious as any fish Ive ever tasted. Spruce run in Jersey had good populations of bullheads and white catfish (which is in the bullhead family) but the bullheads werent as good tasting as in Canada. I havent found a good bullhead spot down here yet but we have plenty of friggin white cats which just taste awefull from the lakes down here. I guess things change with food base and so forth and water quality. Cause the white cats in Jersey were pretty good tasting fish. Three cheers for the bullhead family Smile
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 12:12 pm

I think I'll be catching some this year out of our local creek. Going to fish for the channels this year but going to work the creek some to, so there is more fish in the freezer and on the table.
Back to top Go down
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm still fishing for bullhead, have a hard time to remove the hooks so it was so deep thru stomach often..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who Still Fishes For Them   Who Still Fishes For Them I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who Still Fishes For Them
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BIG FISH MIDWEST :: Lets Talk Catfish :: Lets Talk Catfish-
Jump to: