BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian Empty
PostSubject: NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian   NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:01 pm

NEW YORK – A 140-year-old lobster once destined for a dinner plate received the gift of life Friday from a Park Avenue seafood restaurant.

George, the 20-pound supercentenarian crustacean, was freed by City Crab and Seafood in New York City.

"We applaud the folks at City Crab and Seafood for their compassionate decision to allow this noble old-timer to live out his days in freedom and peace," said Ingrid E. Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

PETA spokesman Michael McGraw said the group asked City Crab to return George to the Atlantic Ocean after a diner saw him at the restaurant, where steamed Maine lobster sells for $27 per pound. George had been caught off Newfoundland, Canada and lived in the tank for about 10 days before his release.

Some scientists estimate lobsters can live to be more than 100 years old. PETA and the restaurant guessed George's age at about 140, using a rule of thumb based on the creature's weight.

He was to be released Saturday near Kennebunkport, Maine, in an area where lobster trapping is forbidden.
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian   NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:38 pm

God bless the old fart Smile Just as well it would be a shame for that old timer to go out for someones 10 minutes of bliss dipping him in butter. I applaud the decision to release him.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian   NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:18 am

i seen that on TV and i agree terry, he shouldn't have even made it to the news meaning they should have released him when he was caught, at least you would think that the trappers would have known that he was an old lobster. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian   NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NYC eatery grants freedom to lobster centenarian
Page 1 of 1