BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bowfin

Go down 
+3
North Star
sqrlhntr
catfish willy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 pm

For those that have never caught a might fin they are one of the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught pound per pound. only topped by spoonbill, obviously bluegill, and maybe carp. Alot of people catch them bass fishing with 10 inch worms, spinner baits, and crankbaits. I'm not rich enough to use 4 and 5 dollar lures to catch fins on because they can, and usually will, tear them up. There are alot like gar. Gar and bowfin are 2 of the 7 species in the world basically unchanged today as they were 150 million years ago. They have a variation to their swim bladder like a gar that allow them to get oxygen from air. Gar are the same way. They can often be caught in water than most any other fish can't survive in, much like a gar. I prefer to use small live bluegill or pieces of cut bait because I can get a bow of worms for 2 bucks that will catch several dozen bluegill compared to 4 or 5 dollars a spinner bait/crankbait will cost to catch one fin. I usually use baitholders, khales, and octopus hooks. Usually they can be found around tree roots and other structure like bass will. They usually try to take your pole when they bite as well although the last couple of trips I have taken to Florida to fish for them they would bite real softly, they wouldn't even slip the clicker. In cases like that I would set the reel in free spool and let them run a second. Then I would cross his eyes. They can be several different colors but the most common color I have seen is olive. Most of them I catch are around 24 inches and weigh about 4 or 5 pounds. The biggest I have caught was around 32-34 inches long and probably weighed about 10 or 12 pounds. I don't have any spots in Kentucky to fish for them, but in Florida I fish for them in Holmes Creek. Most people consider them a trash fish because they prefer to eat small live fish and will usually eat small bass and other game fish. In my eyes I would much rather have a bowfin than a bass. I use the same tackle I use for catfish for the fins. Mainly just because the creek I fish for them in also has alot of gar. Some of them will be 5 or 6 foot long. When they bite I want my gear to be able to land it. My biggest gar so far is only about 4 foot but eventually I will have one of the 5 or 6 footers hooked well enough to land. Here are some picture of the fins/gar.

This gar was the first bite I had on my last trip to Florida. It is my biggest and will probably go around 48-50 inches. My guess on weight is atleast 14 or 15 pounds. I have seen 4 foot gar weigh anywhere from 12-20 pounds depending on how thick they are and this one was chunky. Keep in mind that I am 6 foot 3 inches tall so most of the fish will seem kind of dwarfed.

Bowfin IMG_0468

Bowfin IMG_0469

Here is a small fin about 24 inches and about 4 pounds. I don't take very many picture of mine because they don't mean as much to me as they do my cousin. I don't have pictures of my biggest that I caught shortly after this one because my sister felt compelled to delete it so she could take some pictures of herself.

Bowfin IMG_0371

Here is a picture of a gar about 3 feet long and maybe 8 or 9 pound tops. Can you tell it was hot that day? Just look at my face. It was up over 100 degrees that day.

Bowfin Willysgar

Here is a picture of one of my first fins. Pretty stout but wasn't very long.

Bowfin Channel128

I have put my cousin on some nice fins as well. Here is one of his about 26 or 27 inches and maybe 8 pounds.

Bowfin Channel130

Here is another about 28 or 29 inches and about 8 or 9 pounds. It was kind of thin.

Bowfin Channel132

Just some info and pictures about the might fins. They are a pretty neat fish and are often over looked. If you liked what you read do a little more research because there is much more info than what I posted because most of it was from personal experience.
Back to top Go down
sqrlhntr
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
sqrlhntr

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 12:21 am

Them bowfin are wild to catch. I lived in central Florida in the mid 80's and caught many. Darn things could sure tear up some light tackle.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 9:10 am

Them Bowfin will tear your tackle up big time and there a blast to catch because of the power they have even the small ones, thanks for sharing the pics with us and congrats to all of you on your catches. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 3:20 pm

well I don't fishing them, but its fun to catch them.. caught one bowfin on tipups, its about 10 pound.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Nice pics! I haven't ever caught a bowfin, but I have caught gar by accident LOLOL. They also put up on heck of a fight and are fun to catch!
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 am

they look like a dog fish with outthe eye on there tail
Back to top Go down
catfish willy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
catfish willy

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 am

Dogfish are bowfin. Bowfin have alot of different nicknames like grinnel, blackfish, cottonfish, choupic, grinner, mudfihs, and many more.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 am

lots of fish that have tons of names....the redfish that I catch are called..."redfish, red drum, channel bass, spot tails or puppy drum.

Flathead cats have more names than any fish I know....I bet they have more that 25 known names....Flathead, flatty, Johnny cat, Granny cat, oppelusa, appelusa, opp, app, yellow cat, shovelhead, tabby cat, goujon, ect......theres a list somewhere I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bowfin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowfin   Bowfin I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bowfin
Page 1 of 1