BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disposing of fishing line properly?

Go down 
+2
North Star
saltfisher1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Disposing of fishing line properly? Empty
PostSubject: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am

I've been to lots of piers and beachs that have these PVC collectors for throwing away old fishing line...How many folks actually wait to go to the beach or pier or where ever to respool?....I do that at home.....I had a question on properly dosposing of line from home....What do I do with it and where does it go?....Do I put it in my recycle bin that the county provides or do I wait and take it to one of the PVC collectors?.....I do not know what they do with that line they collect...As far as I know they might just toss it in the regular trash when the empty those things....Anyone have a suggestion?
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 am

Well Greg I Would Ask You Bait Shop/Tackle Shop Dealers The One In Town Here Collects It Free Of Charge And Recycles It, If They Don't They May Be Able To Tell You Were To Go To Get Rid Of It. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:54 am

I respool mine at home then just put the old in with the rest of the trash in the bag and let it go to the landfill. We don't have any tackle shops around that mess with it. Recycle is the best but oh well I ain't driving 38 miles to do it with the price of gas.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 am

As of recent times I am a little more conscious to where I put my garbage...I save aluminum and copper for the cash and I recycle plastic through the county and that helps save a few garbage bags....I save up plastic grocery sacks for recycling too......Newspaper, cardboard, and glass gets separated from the regular garbage too.
Back to top Go down
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 11:28 am

Well I always burn mine. I have had the experience a couple of times of finding birds still alive but all tangled up in that stuff, and was able to free them from it. I know that landfills have lots of seagulls, crows, ravens and other birds as well hanging around them all the time. If I throw it in the garbarge, it just ends up in the landfill and can hurt the birds there. So I always throw it in the burn barrel out back when I burn stuff up and that makes it totally harmless to anything. I suppose it adds to pollution in some way, but where do you draw the line on that kind of stuff??

Jim Cool
Back to top Go down
steve7681
Penny
Penny

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 12:50 am

Well, I get new line every year put on, but do it at a bait shop/gun shop, and then they take care of it. it usually goes on sale at 1 cent per yard, and I know it's done right. It's got to be better than myself doing it!

Steve
Back to top Go down
ambushunter
Penny
Penny

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 6:54 am

nothing like that around here, it goes in the trash like everything else
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 am

I think the best way to get rid of it after reading up on the internet is to just cut it up into very short pieces so that wildlife cant get tangles in it....There are even seabirds like sea gulls that feed at the dumps...Cutting it into smaller pieces makes it break down easier as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disposing of fishing line properly?   Disposing of fishing line properly? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disposing of fishing line properly?
Page 1 of 1