BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My latest Batches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

My latest Batches Empty
PostSubject: My latest Batches   My latest Batches I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:15 am

We were looking for a place that we could get Rhubarb to make some wine and finally found one that we could take all we wanted. Now i talked to a couple of other people that makes home made wine and the reason for this talk was (precipitated chalk) and this stuff is hard to find in the states (I have no idea why). Now it is hard to say what rhubarb wine will taste like as there are different kinds out there to make it from (the red is sweet and less acid and the green is real tart and lots of acid). But as we talked i found that, well at least i feel it is up to the maker as if he want's a dry wine or a wine that has a high acid content the sugar has a major roll in this not just for making the alcohol. I didn't put the chalk in and will see just how it turns out as i have 3 different kids 18 gallons of rhubarb wine cooking right now, here are a few pics that i just took.
The real light colored jugs are the rhubarb wine, it is hard to tell but there is a RED, and a GREEN, and a MIXED meaning there is a mixed of the red and the green.
These are about 2 weeks old already.
My latest Batches 100_6166
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

My latest Batches Empty
PostSubject: Re: My latest Batches   My latest Batches I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 am

Rhubarb wine is one of those wines you either love or hate. My wife doesn't like the taste of rhubarb in any form, but I do. As a result, I don't make it often and only make a gallon at a time when I do.

Rhubarb contains an excess of oxalic acid, which is what gives it the taste some people find unpleasant. But oxalic acid can be easily removed (as in the recipe below) and the wine will be better for it. Although rhubarb wine has its own taste, it is excellent for blending because it will take up the flavor of whatever it is blended with and in the process will lose most of its own flavor.

If you're not sure you'll like it, you can always make a one-gallon batch and freeze enough rhubarb for another batch or two later. You can save space by crushing the rhubarb and freezing the juice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing about Rhubarb wine is that you can't get it in concentrate that i have found so you have to make it when you can get it here is the recipe that i used.

Rhubarb Wine.

Ingredients.

* 6-7 lbs red rhubarb
* 2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
* 2 large lemons (juice only)
* water to make up one gallon
* 1 crushed Campden tablet
* 1 oz precipitated chalk
* 1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
* Sauterne wine yeast

Directions.

Wash the rhubarb and cut into 1/2-inch lengths. Crush with a piece of sterilized hardwood (the end of a baseball bat is perfect) and put into primary. Dissolve crushed Campden tablet in gallon of cold water and pour over rhubarb. Cover primary and let set for three days, stirring daily. Strain through a nylon straining bag and squeeze as much liquid as possible from the pulp. Discard pulp and return liquor to primary. Add the precipitated chalk (obtainable at wine making shop). The liquor will fizz, but then settle down. Wait 3 hours and taste. If oxalic acid taste is still too strong, add another 1/2 oz of precipitated chalk. Stir in all remaining ingredients, making sure the sugar dissolves completely. (NOTE: You may want to hold back one pound of the sugar and add it after fermentation is well on its way.) Cover and set aside overnight. Transfer to secondary and fit airlock, but to allow for foaming during fermentation hold back a pint or so in a small bottle plugged with cotton. When ferment settles down (5-7 days), top up with reserved liquor and refit airlock. Set aside in cool place until wine begins to clear. Rack, refit airlock and top up. Allow at least another two months, making sure fermentation has ceased, and rack again. If possible, cold stabilize wine for 30 days. If you can't cold stabilize, at least allow the wine the additional 30 days. Rack into bottles or blend with another wine.

If you bottle the rhubarb wine pure, it is drinkable right away. If you blend it, age it according to instructions for the wine you are blending with. If you make a 3-5-gallon batch, add 1/8 tsp tannin per gallon when you add the other dry ingredients to extend the life of the wine. [Author's own recipe]
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com

My latest Batches
Page 1 of 1