BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota Empty
PostSubject: New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota   New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm

By Matt McMillan

Hutchinson Leader – Brazilian elodea, an invasive aquatic plant new to Minnesota waters, was discovered in Powderhorn Lake in south Minneapolis, according to Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) biologists. Thanks to the sharp eye of Rachael Crabb, a limnologist with the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, the Brazilian elodea was spotted during a survey of aquatic vegetation in the lake. The plant is native to South America, and also known as Brazilian waterweed, giant elodea, or Egeria densa.

Brazilian elodea can cause problems similar to those caused by Eurasian watermilfoil and other invasive aquatic plants. These problems result when the invasive plant produces mats at the water’s surface and interfere with activities such as boating and swimming, as well as displacement of native plants. To date, Brazilian elodea has become abundant in other states or areas where climates are milder than Minnesota’s. It is important to limit the spread of the plant in Minnesota to prevent the development of potential problems.

Here Is The Link To Were This Came From.

http://www.conservationminnesota.org/news.cfm?at=1&aid=312
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Rockhound
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Rockhound

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota   New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:15 pm

You ever sit back and think on it, if plants and animals get here from across the sea, how easy a germ can do the same thing! affraid
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota   New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm

I Think About That All The Time, Just Like Air Plains Do They Disinfect Them After Every Flight They Make.???
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota   New invasive aquatic plant discovered in Minnesota I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1