BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cold in the South

Go down 
+7
ridgerunner
marlboro920
North Star
newfie2007
jerseycat9
Grumpy
Ace
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Old man winter has had a hold on the old south for the past 3 weeks.We have had below normal temperature .
Our average temperature for this time of year is in the 40's in the day and in the upper 30's at night. Last night it was 15 deg with a wind chill of 8 deg.
My bait pond has been froze over for the past two weeks the ice is about 1 1/2 thick that cold for here in North Carolina Piedmont .I can't imagine liveing up north where most of you guys live. I took a few pics this morning to share.

Cold in the South 1-9-2010001

Cold in the South 1-9-2010002

Cold in the South 1-9-2010003

Cold in the South 264358 Cold in the South 754555 Sleep
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:36 pm

It's a little cool here too. We have about an inch of snow on the ground and it's been in the teens for several days. All we have been able to do is sit in the house and cook and eat.
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Grumpy wrote:
It's a little cool here too. We have about an inch of snow on the ground and it's been in the teens for several days. All we have been able to do is sit in the house and cook and eat.
Ah hell I do that when its warm too lol Almost all of the ponds around here that are less than 3 acres are frozen as well but we do start to warm up next week so I guess fishing will resume I just hope the fish havent been affected to badly because they were biting good even as the temps were dropping.
Back to top Go down
newfie2007
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
newfie2007

Number of posts : 766

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 pm

you guys down there is getting our wether and we are getting yours i thing its time to send it back up this way lol, its good to see no snow some times but when people gets snowmobils for christmas and otheres gets shevels its not good becouse thay needs snow for them,We been haveing rain all december and all this mouth and thats not like use here its crazy.
Back to top Go down
http://world-of-outdoors.canadian-forum.com/
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Ain't this global warming just grand, i like cold weather it's a challenge on both the body and the mind, meaning there are times that it really really sucks but you still manage to get by some how and then there is just plan old winter been living with it all my life (46 years). Ace that looks pretty cold for you guys down there, they were showing the little lizards falling out of the trees down there in Florida that is pretty chilly since there cold blooded anyways hope ya warm up down there soon. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:04 pm

we have about 18 to 20 inches of snow an last i talked with musky he said that fox lake had 11 inches of ice an duly pick-ups were on the ice .....its been like a week so im sure its more now ...last few nights its been in the -0 range for a temp ....ive lived in the north most of my life ...i have lived in ms,al.la.an fl .....i wont give up the snow n ice for nothing ....its nice down south but .....
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 pm

I know the Volvo hates this cold as much as I do. I'm going to buy a tank engine heater for next year.
Cold in the South Warcau
You'd think that a car that is manufacured in Sweden would be ok in the cold. From what I've read today Volvo's don't like the cold. Do you think they are made in China like the Abu Garcia's are now???
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Gotta remember though not all Abus are made in china ;-) Helluva difference in price but most are still made in sweden.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:02 am

!2 miles from the coast today we drove by a 1 acre pond with ice all around the edges...This was 2 in the afternoon!
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

Yep yep... It's cold most everywhere right now... I'm sure looking forward to spring and the warmer temps. I'm tired of the cold, snow, ice etc. already!~!
Back to top Go down
radish
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
radish

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

ME TO AMEN. I hope it goes back to Newfie SOON !!!
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Drove past gainesville college today and there were some fools walking on the ice of the old pond out front Cold in the South 279456 's Its a pretty big pond of 2+ acres but I cant imagine the ice is very stable
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:34 pm

I have been hearing about people falling threw the ice down that way a lot the past few days, it's just not worth the trouble doing it when ya don't have a clue what your doing. cheers
Back to top Go down
jerseycat9
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jerseycat9

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm

North Star wrote:
I have been hearing about people falling threw the ice down that way a lot the past few days, it's just not worth the trouble doing it when ya don't have a clue what your doing. cheers
Guess mother nature has her ways of thinnin out the herd. To me its obvious when and where I can step on the ice but I guess to someone born and raised in this area curiosity gets the best of them.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:59 pm

jerseycat9 wrote:
North Star wrote:
Guess mother nature has her ways of thinnin out the herd. To me its obvious when and where I can step on the ice but I guess to someone born and raised in this area curiosity gets the best of them.
Hell terry it happens here every year and not just to kids.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:43 am

I fell through the ice when I was about 4 years old. I surely am NOT going to go out on the ice again. That is one reason why I will not go ice fishing..
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 am

If someone would babysit my dogs for a week, I would go to Florida.
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Cold in the south.Ya think! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Boys fall thru ice in Georgia.   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Yep it's sad Ace but it happens every year even around here were they grow up with the ice.
Back to top Go down
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Mike how thick does ice need to be to support a 200lb person?

Cold in the South 754555 Cold in the South 264358 Cold in the South 288588
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm

About 4 inches for a 200lb person and about 6 inches for a ATV or snowmobile, about 12 inches for a small car or 1/2 ton pickup about 16 inches for a heavy duty truck. Now people do not listen to that stuff and are driving out on 10 inches with big cars and all size trucks pulling there fish house on wheels out there, there nuts and not very smart and there are always a few that go threw and some even die. affraid
Back to top Go down
Ace
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Ace

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 pm

It don't get cold enough around here for ice to get that thick. I have about inches of ice
on my pond. It finally warmed up here today after 3 weeks of freezing it got up to 64deg today.

Cold in the South 614694
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Grumpy wrote:
If someone would babysit my dogs for a week, I would go to Florida.

You look up one of those doggy motels yet?...They have them here, not sure of the rates though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cold in the South Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold in the South   Cold in the South I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold in the South
Page 1 of 1