BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A mountain out of a mole hill

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2008-10-07

A mountain out of a mole hill Empty
PostSubject: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm

A few months ago we decided to park my truck and drop insurance to save some money. Well things are looking better so I decided to start driving the truck again. I called the insurance agent Friday on the way home to add insurance back to it. I picked up a wheel cylinder because I knew when I parked it that one of them was leaking. Yesterday after the funwas drieral I just didn't feel like working on it, so this moring I hit it. I figured about an hour to change the cylinder and bleed it. Well I got it jacked up and on jack stands and the drum came off easily. And then I about crapped my pants because there were no pads left on the back shoe. I don't even remember the brakes grinding when I was driving it. So I shot off to Autozone to get the brakes. The gal at the store asked if I wanted the hardware kit, and I thought she's a good sales person -- trying to add on to the sale. I told her no and took off back home. Oh did I say it is 18 miles from my house to Autozone? I got home with the shoes and it was then that I noticed the adjuster cable had broken in two and the springs were in bad shape. So I hopped back in the Volvo and rand back to the Zone to get the adjuster cable and spring kit. Got back home and noticed what looked like grease on the backing plate. Well the only place grease can come from is the axel shaft seal. I decided to button it up and attack it again when it dries out some. My military rain suit is great but I got tired of fighting the rain. I guess maybe I should have checked this truck out better when I first bought it. Of course I don't know how the guy who had it before me took care of it. I guess it's actually not in too bad a shape for a 22 year old truck.
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Here's a good source for truck parts if anyone is interested.
http://www.lmctruck.com/
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 6:39 pm

A mountain out of a mole hill 329261
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Sounds like my luck on parts hunting.
Back to top Go down
richardcatdaddy
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
richardcatdaddy

Number of posts : 2202
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 pm

A mountain out of a mole hill Funny-pictures-deer-sticks-tongue-o
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Well I got all the parts and I had intended to work on the truck today. But since it's been raining for 40 days and 40 nights (not really but it seems like it) I decided to work inside instead. I racked my apple wine into another gallon fermenter so it could clear out. I also racked my 5 gallons of wheat beer into a secondary fermenter. Good news is it smelled like beer not vinegar, so I guess when my grandson pulled out the air lock it didn't do any harm. I guess maybe I'll hit my truck on Sunday. It's supposed to be dry then. Oh how I wish we'd bought a house with a garage!
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 am

Sorry to hear your truck repairs had turned into such an escapade... Hopefully when you go to work on it on Sunday, you will have everything you need then and can get to working on it and get it done. Glad to hear your wine is doing fine. Also glad to hear that your grandson didn't do any harm to the wine LOL..
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Well I tore into the rear end of the truck yesterday. I wound up stripping off the head of the bolt I had to take out to remove the axel shaft. After much cursing I decided to just do the brakes and drive it through the winter and get something else next spring. Now that Vickie has money coming in maybe we'll be able to pay cash for a good work vehicle that gets better gas milage. I figure if I need to haule something I can get a hitch for the Volvo and get a trailer. That way if I find a good deal on Ebay for a scooter I've got a way to go get it!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 4:57 pm

It always seem to go that way don't it Ridge, start fixing something and you know you are tapped for money then you brake something it sucks for sure and have been there and done that a few times myself, im a good one for breaking wrenches and sockets.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 am

North Star wrote:
It always seem to go that way don't it Ridge, start fixing something and you know you are tapped for money then you brake something it sucks for sure and have been there and done that a few times myself, im a good one for breaking wrenches and sockets.

I like to break screw drivers....lol
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

saltfisher1 wrote:
North Star wrote:

I like to break screw drivers....lol

I like to drink screwdrivers!
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 7:23 pm

Well I got the brakes changed out. Had to buy wheel cylinders and adjusters for both sides. I had to replace a piece of brake line on the drivers side. I got the passenger side back together, now the friggin drum doesn't want to go on on the driver's side. I'm half tempted to make a bonfire out of the darn thing.
A mountain out of a mole hill F0ahk8
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 pm

lolol i almost thought that is what happened i hate when things just keep going wrong like that.
Back to top Go down
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Lol ..Drink screwdrivers.....It would be alot easier if they called those drinks hammers.
Back to top Go down
bluegill
Asst Admin
Asst Admin
bluegill

Number of posts : 6146
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 9:02 am

LOL... Glad to hear you got your truck running, ridge. Sorry that you ran into more problems. Hope it will get you through the winter. I like to drink screwdrivers also!~!
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 pm

Well after a good night's sleep and 2 cups of coffee I attacked the brakes again this morning. Yesterday I couldn't get the driver's side drum back on. This morning I figured out the emergency brake lever was not retracted fully and was pushing out the brake shoe a little bit. I disconnected the e brake cable on that side -- it doesn't work anyway. The drum slid right on. So I didn't burn the truck down and the brakes work. Here's a gem I picked up at the Autozone and it is well worth the $7.00 I spent on it. And believe it or not it works great!
A mountain out of a mole hill 2mrwh28
You just open up the bleeder valve, put an adapter in it and attach the hose. Attatch the bottle to the frame with the supplied magnet above the wheel cylinder. Fill up the master cylinder and pump the brake pedal about 5 times. Check the bottle to make sure it's not full, and make sure there's no air in the hose. Tighten the bleeder screw and you're done.
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Well I drove the truck the other day to work. On the way home, I had to keep holding my cell phone up to the dash to see how fast I was going. Today I changed out the dash lights. I checked them and they worked. Tonight I went to use the truck to go get Casey's pizza and when I turned on the headlights and it was still dark in front of the truck. So now I'm in a quandry -- do I still work on fixing it or just give up and replace the truck? Burning it still isn't our of the question either.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 8:07 pm

you may as well fix it you went this far already with it. cheers
Back to top Go down
ridgerunner
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
ridgerunner

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Well I found out the culprit of why the headlights didn't work. It was less than a $10.00 fix.
A mountain out of a mole hill 14d0t8k
This is the dimmer switch. Yes once upon a time they used to be on the floor.
A mountain out of a mole hill 2vvkftl
If you look closely at this picture of my switch you'll see a pencil eraser sized hole in the body of the switch. I've never seen a switch this badly corroded. Took about 5 minutes to switch out the switch. Not counting the 45 minute round trip to go to Autozone and get the part. I'm happy now -- well I will be when I get tires.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Yep that will do it A mountain out of a mole hill 56900
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A mountain out of a mole hill   A mountain out of a mole hill I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A mountain out of a mole hill
Page 1 of 1