BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Truck Fixed

Go down 
+3
radish
pappy3
North Star
7 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 am

well my truck is fixed and up and purring like a kitten and i have to thank my 2 kids that did it. knightfisher on here and my 15 year old son josh had a tough time in this weather but they did good and even put a muffler system on so now i can't even hear the dang thing running. they did good. cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:18 am

I am glad all went well! where did they learn how to do this? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am

that would be me, i love to work on cars and trucks just that my health won't allow me to get under the hood right now so they did it for me, this time they did the timing which when you do that you need to take the front of the motor off and they did good.
Back to top Go down
pappy3
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
pappy3

Number of posts : 421

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 am

I use to run a shop that had 7 lifts 5 full time mechanics, I really liked it I was good at it but my health with my back said no more!! I was going to buy that shop. I use to r&r an engine in 18 hrs .take a bad one out put in a low mileage one from a new wrecked one , made me 500.00 made the shop 500.00 on the week-end about twice a month plus the 600 a week to run the shop to this cajun that was good money ! But now my youngest son makes anywhere from a minimum of 7400 a month to 18000 a month in the oil field , so now I know what good money really is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
radish
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
radish

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am

Glad you got your truck fixed. If you are like me it is not any fun when it is not running.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:29 am

im just like you because i have to much that requires a truck that needs to be done every week, i have a paper route that at most times requires a pickup because of the snow we get, and i also have a fish house out on the ice that requires to have a pickup ready to go should problems arise out on the ice. so yep it really bugs me when me auto isn't running. cheers
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:26 am

I hate to keep saying "when I was younger" but that is the way it is. I liked working on the electrical systems in cars and trucks before the electronics age. Timing and that sort of stuff. I thought nothing of completely removing a distributer and tuning it up on the bench. Or even installing carburator kits.

One day I was driving my 40 Ford if I remember correctly. I had picked up a hichhiker and was heading to the city. The engine quit and so I pulled off to the side. Lifted the distributer cap and noted the points had broke. I had my toolbox with me and an old set of points in there. I installed the old points and did not have a feeler gage so I folded some paper and said that looks about right. Hopped back in and the engine began to purr again. Was on the road in about 10 minutes. That hichhiker could not believe it.

Ahhhhh; my Daughter had a Mosda with a rotary engine that amazed me. Two distributers on the thing. With out a manual I figured how it ran and how the timing should be set. So Bernie even fine tuned that rotary engine. Now today I am old and know nothing. Thats what some youngins think. Old people know nothing.

Thats how it was in that time.
Back to top Go down
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 am

So glad its done!!!
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 am

I could work on the old ones, but this modern stuff is a little beyond my capabilities. I put in a many a set of points without a gauge, set the timing by ear, and so on. The local grocery store had a side room with tire tools for fixing our own flats. Man, I loved the smell of those burning hot patches.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 am

me to grumpy i did that for 7 years before moving on to the next job, but yes i still fix all my vehicle's outside and yes darn glad it is over it is real cold right now. -12 with a wind chill of -30 below.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 7:52 pm

All this sounds familiar, use to break down and no matter what be back on the road in just a short. Now it's get a tow and a mechanic to do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Truck Fixed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Truck Fixed   Truck Fixed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Truck Fixed
Page 1 of 1