BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you think?

Go down 
+6
Grumpy
papa
Bernie
arlington
North Star
graybeard
10 posters
AuthorMessage
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2007-12-08

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 pm

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080109/NEWS03/801090357

Check this link out and see what you think. The Iowa DNR determined it is a house cat.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 4:53 pm

thats a tough call there but if i was to have to guess i would say that it is mountain lion, my reason is because of how the butt sticks higher in the air at the hips than a house cat would. and that the tail is pretty big for a house cat and if you look at how far the picture was taken away from the animal (fence post) and yes there are real good cameras out there i still say that it is a mountain lion. study
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:07 pm

I kinda think it's a lion too, I know there are some good fakes out there, but this looks pretty authentic to me. The DNR is famous down here for denying lion sightings, they wouldn't even admit to any being in Iowa til somebody hit one with their car. A lot of people swear the DNR even secretly released lions here to help control the deer population. I don't buy that one, but I don't doubt there are some around.
Back to top Go down
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 pm

It looks big,,I just wish there was a tree or something close to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 5:57 pm

I think it is a lion. I put it in photoshop and blew it up as I suspect many did. That did not prove much. But looking at that electric fence post and the lay of the land I think a house cat would appear very much smaller. Therefore I proclam that it is of the lion variety.
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Bernie wrote:
I think it is a lion. I put it in photoshop and blew it up as I suspect many did. That did not prove much. But looking at that electric fence post and the lay of the land I think a house cat would appear very much smaller. Therefore I proclam that it is of the lion variety.

I agree with Bernie.
Back to top Go down
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 pm

I saw one several years ago in Tennessee. Some people working in a tobacco field a couple of miles from where I saw it also saw it a few days later. My stepson had a fairly tame one for a few weeks and then sold it.

If the picture hasn't been altered, It would seem to be much larger than a house cat.
Back to top Go down
MikeDaPike
Dime
Dime
MikeDaPike

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2007-12-26

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

I would place my bets on it being a mountain lion. Here in Michigan a few years ago I saw a cougar feeding on the side of the road on a cold winter day. I had my old stick shift ford at the time and by the time I slowed and got turned around to get the picture it was quickly gone. Reported it to the DNR and the response I got was "there are no cougars in Michigan anymore". I know what I saw, it was clear as day! lol There have been many sightings in Michigan and they still will down play it or dismissed it all together. I can't figure out why they do that. Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.MikeDaPikeDecoys.com
graybeard
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
graybeard

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't know either, Mike, but they are the same around here. You about gotta slap 'em up the side of the head with a dead one before they'll admit there are any around.
Back to top Go down
jremines
Nickel
Nickel

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-12-13

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:41 pm

are they really that bad that they have to lie about em bein around?I can see em causin problems with cattle and herds like that..but deny they're around???How's that gonna help people take the proper meausures to help keep em out and away from livestock??I can see not wanting to scare people either..but just actin like they're not there isnt gonna help..educate people about em..they're not blood thirsty killers..they're wild animals..like a coon or a deer..kinda bugs me.lol
Back to top Go down
arlington
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
arlington

Number of posts : 910

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Joey,,the goverment view is,,why tell the people the truth when we can lie to them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmjoutdoorworld.com
Digger
Nickel
Nickel
Digger

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-12-09

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Well,...The Editor of The Demoine Register will change his point of view when that thing EATS his House Cat!
Back to top Go down
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:18 am

Digger wrote:
Well,...The Editor of The Demoine Register will change his point of view when that thing EATS his House Cat!
LOL lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
papa
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
papa

Number of posts : 2520

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 9:08 pm

It's just like the good old government tells us that they don't have any spaceships or aliens, but they most certainly do have both and have had for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BIG FISH MIDWEST :: Introductions/Questions :: The Bait Shop-
Jump to: