BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage Empty
PostSubject: Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage   Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 am

TAMPA, Fla. - Flurries fell across the Sunshine State on Thursday, but it appeared that growers were spared the deep freeze they feared would devastate the nation’s citrus supply.
A serious freeze in Florida would have meant more damage to the nation’s biggest citrus industry, already struggling from years of diseases and hurricanes. Most orange and grapefruit groves are in Central and South Florida, where temperatures hovered in high 20s and low 30s. Trees can be ruined when temperatures fall to 28 degrees for four hours.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage   Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 10:05 am

So oranges might cost as much as gas????
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage   Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 am

Our place got down to 25.7 degrees. We were in that temperature area for several hours. I picked our oranges on the outside branches and put a electric heater below each one. Two trees and left another to defend for itself. Also I did put three lights at some sensitive plants and covered them up. Also decided to trickle three outdoor water faucets. We will see how everything survived. Last year it did not get so cold but yet I lost some things.

Speaking of oranges think I will have a couple now. These are trees that we planted about 3 years ago and they are starting to produce. We wish now that we had put in a lemon and a lime tree. Plan on doing that this spring. And we are aging but sill would like to see the day that we can pick our own. In Michigan this guy did plant apple, peach, cherry, pear and plum trees in several varieties. I miss going out to the "orchard" and picking off a tree and eating on the spot. That was nice. A lot of work however as they required correct spraying so this guy studied and got a state pestisides license so that I was not restricted. Anyway thanks for listening and back to reality now in Florida.
Back to top Go down
radish
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
radish

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage   Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 11:47 am

Hope you had no feeeze problems Bernie. Oranges off of the tree sure would be nice .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage   Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flurries in Fla., but No Crop Damage
Page 1 of 1