BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

John Day River Oregon

Go down 
+6
knightfisher
timber
North Star
Grumpy
newfie2007
jimhs
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jimhs
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
jimhs

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2007-12-05

John Day River Oregon Empty
PostSubject: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Well I finally found my old picture album of the John Day River Bass fishing trips. I hadn't seen the album for several years and actually forgot how few pictures there are in it of fish. Those fish pictures are stored away somewhere else and right now I don't have a clue as to where. So here are some, mostly scenic pictures of a couple of our trips down the river.

This is a picture of "Basalt Rapids."
John Day River Oregon BASALTRAPIDS

This is a picture of a basalt wall, which is pretty common along the edges of the river in many places.
John Day River Oregon BASALTWALL

This is a picture of one of our campsites along the river. You can see a couple of our drift boats in the background. We all had fibreglass boats. I would have never attempted to drift this river at the levels that we did it with a wooden or aluminum boat. The dark green boat was mine and the white one was my friend Tab's boat. Russ's boat is not in the picture.
John Day River Oregon CAMPSITE2

This is a picture of "Cathedral Rock."
John Day River Oregon CATHEDRALROCK

This is a picture of a cave way up on the hillside above the river. It doesn't look very big from down on the river.
John Day River Oregon CAVE1

Here is a picture of me standing in the mouth of the same cave. It's a lot bigger than it looks from down below.
John Day River Oregon CAVE2

Here I was inside the cave and looking back down at the river. If you look real close you can see the boats pulled up on the river bank.
John Day River Oregon CAVE3

Here is another one of our campsites.
John Day River Oregon CAMPSITE

This is a place called "Cave Bluff." It is a shallow cave right on the water line, and when the river is up a little more than it was here, you can row your boat back into it a little way. When it's 110 degrees out and you've been sitting in the sun all day it sure is nice to go into there and cool off. It's like rowing the boat into an air conditioned room it is so cool in there.
John Day River Oregon CAVEBLUFF

This is an old homestead that was built about 1894 by an immigrant from Scotland by the name of Farquer McRae. There is still a guy living in it. He runs the lower ranch for an elderly lady named Mrs. Mary Mauer who now owns this land. The fella's name is Dennis Ball, and over the years he and I have become pretty good friends. We would always pull in and visit with Dennis every year, and most times take him a case of beer. He wasn't home the day I took this picture, so we put the beer in the refrigerator and went on our way. And let me tell you, rustic is not the word for the inside of this place. The first time I ever went into the house I could see why Dennis drinks so much.
John Day River Oregon FARQUERMcRAESHOMESTEAD

This is a little gravesite that belongs to a little girl by the name of Chrissy Scott. I took the following story from a book that I bought many years ago titled "The John Day River Drift and Historical Guide" by Arthur Campbell:

James Scott and his wife worked for Farquer as foreman and housekeeper/cook. The Scotts had a daughter named Chrissy, who was about 5 years old. Farquer was devoted to her; he used to carry her around on his shoulders. Chrissy had golden hair and big blue eyes. In about 1930, Farquer came down with diphtheria and nerly died. One day shortly after he recovered he and Chrissy were playing in the John Day river near Farquer's cabin. Chrissy was in an old washtub and Farquer had tied a rope to one of the handles. He would push her out a ways and pull her back in. Chrissy managed to overturn the tub and fell into the cold water. Farquer got her to the bank, but as a result of the spill, Chrissy got very ill with a high fever, came down with diphtheria and died.

Farquer never forgave himself; he insisted that she be buried on his ranch above the John Day River. He tenderly constructed a special concrete wall 4 feet above the ground and placed a wrought iron gate at one end. Chrissy rests there to this day, protected in death by an enclosure which seems to symbolize Farquer's remorse. The gate is rusted shut and giant wild rye grass encloses the plot. After her death, Farquer moved to an upper ranch and never lived at the river ranch again.

John Day River Oregon CHRISSYSCOTTSGRAVE

This and the next few are pictures of what is known as "Clarno Rapids."
John Day River Oregon CLARNORAPIDS1

Clarno Rapids
John Day River Oregon CLARNORAPIDS2

Clarno Rapids. In this picture my friend Tab got hung up on the rocks and couldn't get lose. We eventually waded out and threw him a rope and got his boat to slide over the big rock and he made it on out of there.
John Day River Oregon CLARNORAPIDS3

Clarno Rapids
John Day River Oregon CLARNORAPIDS4

Clarno Rapids
John Day River Oregon CLARNORAPIDS5

This is a picture of me with two bass I caught on the same plug. That happened quite a bit.
John Day River Oregon FISH

This is my fireman buddy Russ and his wife Pat with a few fish that we caught. We had them for breakfast that morning.
John Day River Oregon FISH2

This spot is called "Hoot Owl Rock." That little rock standing on the ledge in the left side of the picture looks just like a giant owl when you are just the right distance from it. We would camp here many times and would usually see a herd of California Desert Bighorn Sheep in this area.
John Day River Oregon HOOTOWLROCK

Hoot Owl Rock
John Day River Oregon HOOTOWLROCK2

This is my friend Tab's wife June with an almost 5 lb. Smallmouth Bass.
John Day River Oregon JUNEWITHFISH

This is another one of our campsites. We called this one the Mulberry camp as those are Mulberry trees we camped under. We stayed at this place every year.
John Day River Oregon MULBERRYCAMP

Mulberry Camp
John Day River Oregon MULBERRYCAMP2

This is on the old George Owens Ranch. At the turn of the century the town of Condon, Oregon (which is about 75 miles from here) tore out their old water supply pipes and replaced them with steel pipes. The Owens brothers gathered up the old Wooden Water Mains and took them to their ranch and intended to use them for irrigation, but it never worked out and the pipes are still laying all over the place at the old ranch.
John Day River Oregon OWENSRANCH

These pictures were taken at a place called "Potlatch Canyon." Potlatch in Indian language means "Big Feast." These are what are known as Petroglyphs, or indian carvings in the rock walls. We never did learn what the different symbold meant.
John Day River Oregon PETROGLYPHS

Petroglyph
John Day River Oregon PETROGLYPHS2

This is Tab's brother-in-law Phil. Phil found out the hard way that when fishing in a small boat like these, it is very important to look behind you before you cast. Tab went to make a cast and stuck two of the three treble hooks in this Rapala plug into the side of Phil's face. Phil fortunately had the presence of mind to grab the line before Tab made the cast.
John Day River Oregon PHIL

Every year we would run into at least one of these guy's. I'm John would have liked to have been on this trip.
John Day River Oregon RATTLESNAKE

I named this place "Rhino Rock" years ago, for obvious reasons.
John Day River Oregon RHINOROCK

This and the next 8 pictures are just pictures of some of the scenery on the river.
John Day River Oregon RUSSORAPIDS

John Day River Oregon SCENERY

John Day River Oregon SCENERY2

John Day River Oregon SCENERY3

John Day River Oregon SCENERY4

John Day River Oregon SCENERY5

John Day River Oregon SCENERY6

John Day River Oregon SCENERY7

John Day River Oregon SCENERY8
Back to top Go down
newfie2007
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
newfie2007

Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:20 pm

cool pics jim
Back to top Go down
http://world-of-outdoors.canadian-forum.com/
Grumpy
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Grumpy

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Great bunch of photos
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 10:16 pm

Buddy that is some awesome pictures mother nature really does a great job at making things like that for us to explore. thanks jim for sharing the story's behind the pictures, that for sure would be an adventure i would love to do. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
timber
Admin
Admin
timber

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 11:24 pm

Jim those are some awesome pics!!!! cheers cheers thanks for sharing them I really enjoyed looking at them and your narration was great!!!
Back to top Go down
knightfisher
knightfisher

Number of posts : 366

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 pm

them are some cool pic thank for sharing
Back to top Go down
http://jmjoutdoorworld.com/index.php
Rockhound
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Rockhound

Number of posts : 596

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:53 am

Thats some of Gods country for sure"
Back to top Go down
Bernie
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
Bernie

Number of posts : 643

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am

Oh my gosh what great photographs and such a wonderful trip not without dangers yet it all looks wonderful.
Back to top Go down
jremines
Nickel
Nickel

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 11:50 am

awesome pics jim
Back to top Go down
T.C.
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
T.C.

Number of posts : 1818

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 am

beautiful pics jim..thanks for sharing..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Day River Oregon   John Day River Oregon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

John Day River Oregon
Page 1 of 1