BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lake Erie News

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
OhioFisher
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
OhioFisher

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 12:51 pm

There was a coast gurad ice breaker that went threw the ice from the maumee area to point pellee last week about 7mi. out. This broke the ice up giving it room to move. We've gone out many times this year in a south wind so no one thought any thing of it because most didn't even know it went through.

The warm weather, water on the ice, board bridges, and cracks had nothing to do with why this happened. It was the wind and the ice having a place to move. Every year we fish the same thing happens, it's unavoidable, it's your love to fish and the adventure it is to go out there. The whole reason I fish is for the danger that gives you the "living on the edge feeling" Call me crazy but thats what makes it fun!

Hell the only guys that were rescued were mainly walkers or guys that were afraid to follow the pack who got across. If everyone out there would have gotten rides from these guys or walked the 10mi. (I know that a bit far but still) to get across we wouldn't be looking at it as we are today.

If you don't feel safe on the ice, esp Erie ice-IMO a 340 snowmobile is the best way to go(Affordably). It has less pounds per square inch than any person walking and can jump a 30ft. crack. Ice is crazy, life is crazy, fishing is fun Smile The wind blew that crack open and the cracks are also move around starve island. Be careful anywhere you go-CHECK THE WEATHER!

It wasn't as bad as it sounds, the media makes a big deal of everything and we all know that. I'm still a bit ticked though on how the sheriff handled himself. He obviously doesn't know anything about ice fishing works here or anywhere else in this country and really hurt it for us ice fisherman on the media!

The ice is still thick the wind will soon be out of the north again and honestly I'd say once it cools down again we'll be back at it before long. Now that some have learned there lessons though I think they'll be a bit more careful Wink Just be safe out there and learn from experience-
Good Luck-Good Fishing
Jonny

Talk about front page news!
Lake Erie News Untitled88
Lake Erie News Untitled888
Lake Erie News WV_CG
Lake Erie News PA_PPG
Lake Erie News OH_TV
Lake Erie News OH_TMJ
Lake Erie News OH_REP
Lake Erie News OH_CPD
Lake Erie News OH_CD
Lake Erie News OH_ABJ
Lake Erie News MI_LSJ
Lake Erie News AL_TN
Fox News is the only one that has given a true story all day!!!!!!!! Watch them!!!!!!!!!
Lake Erie News 02080910
Back to top Go down
http://ohiooutdoors.org
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Buddy that don't sound like alot of fun but it happens here also on the hard water, just have to watch closer to what a guy is doing miss information on conditions and a lack of checking things out before the venture can be a real pain in the ass. hope the ice gets better so we see more fish pics coming in from your way johnny be looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm

That would Suck!!!
Back to top Go down
marlboro920
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
marlboro920

Number of posts : 1525

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 pm

That would Suck!!!....... x2 !!!
Back to top Go down
Fishers of Men
Nickel
Nickel
Fishers of Men

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Johnny is everywhere! Smile

You can get the full scoop at Ohio Game Fishing .com. go to Lake Erie and then Catawba news thread.
In a nutshell, naturally this got out of hand.
The media really dramatized it.
Ones with local knowledge knew the risk and the 130 stranded were mainly walkers that couldn't get back and out of towners. You didn't hear much about the 300+ that knew how and when that got off the lake on their own.
A lot of people didn't know/understand the venue and that there are always those stress cracks, currents and such to be dealt with in the norm and that the Lake is different than an inland body of water.

Another fine example of having having/obtaining local knowledge in a strange venue or get a guide.
Back to top Go down
http://fomsportfishing.com/
OhioFisher
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
OhioFisher

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Fishers of Men wrote:
Johnny is everywhere! Smile

You can get the full scoop at Ohio Game Fishing .com. go to Lake Erie and then Catawba news thread.
In a nutshell, naturally this got out of hand.
The media really dramatized it.
Ones with local knowledge knew the risk and the 130 stranded were mainly walkers that couldn't get back and out of towners. You didn't hear much about the 300+ that knew how and when that got off the lake on their own.
A lot of people didn't know/understand the venue and that there are always those stress cracks, currents and such to be dealt with in the norm and that the Lake is different than an inland body of water.

Another fine example of having having/obtaining local knowledge in a strange venue or get a guide.

Thats the last place you need to go lol!
Back to top Go down
Fishers of Men
Nickel
Nickel
Fishers of Men

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:54 pm

He He, Johnny, Do you go to Michigan Sportsman?

If you notice, I stayed out of that thread lol it got crazy! Wink
Back to top Go down
OhioFisher
Quarter-Dollar
Quarter-Dollar
OhioFisher

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:30 pm

I've only been on that a few times
If you say its worse than OGF I'll have to check it out!!!!
CYA Out There
Back to top Go down
Fishers of Men
Nickel
Nickel
Fishers of Men

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm

No, it is a well maintained and strict professional fishing site.
With many Captains from the area sharing info.
If you salmon fish, there is an abundance of info there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lake Erie News Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lake Erie News   Lake Erie News I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lake Erie News
Page 1 of 1