BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pickled Pike

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Pickled Pike Empty
PostSubject: Pickled Pike   Pickled Pike I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Folks You Ever Have One Of Them Days That You Have A Craving For Pickled Fish But The Cost Is Just Crazy At The Store, Here Is A Recipe That Is Simple And In My Book The Best Pickled Fish Around. Finished Pieces Are Firm And Sweet And Are Great For Parties And Makes A Great Snack Too When Out On A Picnic.

Directions.

Follow The Steps To The T And You Will Be In Business.

THE BRINE.

1.))For Each Quart Of Water Needed To Cover The Fish You Will Need 1 Cup Pickling Salt, To Know If You Have Enough Salt In The Solutions, The Solution Should Be Strong Enough To Float An Egg.

2.)) Once You Have Your Solution Ready Add Your Fish That You Have Cut Into Bite Size Pieces(( 1 Inch Square)), You Now Need To Soak The Fish For 48 Hours Be Sure That The Fish Is Completely Cover By Using A Plate To Hold The Fish Down.

SECOND BRINE SOAK.

1.)) Now You Need To Drain The Fish From The Salt Water Brine Do Not Rinse Fish Pieces. ((Discard Old Brine Down The Drain It Will Not Be Needed Any More.))

2.)) Now Take The Fish And Place In Your Container That You Just Soaked The Fish In, And Cover The Fish With White Vinegar Make Sure The Fish Is Completely Covered. Again One Way To Do This Is Place A Plate On Top To Hold The Fish Down In The Vinegar.

3.)) Now The Fish Have To Be Soaked For 24 Hours In This Brine, After The 24 Hours Is Up Drain Off Solution And Do Not Keep, ((And Do Not Rinse The Fish)).

THIRD BRINE.

Now Mix This Solution Together And Heat Till The Sugar Has Disolved.

4 Cup White Vinegar.
3 Cups Sugar.
1 Cup White Wine. (( Silver Satin Is The Best ))
1/4 Cup Pickling Spice.

Now Choose The Jar Or Jars You Want To Use, I Like To Use Pints So That When You Open One It You Won't Have To Eat It All Before It Spoils. Once You Have Your Jars Figured Out You Can Start Layering Your Fish Pieces And Onion Pieces In The Jar, Once You Have Your Jars Filled You Can Pour Your Pickling Solution Over The Fish And Put Your Lids On And Tighten Good. Also Be Sure That Your Solution Is Cooled Down.

Last But Not Least And This Is The Hardest Of It All, Leave The Jars Alone In The Fridge For 1 Week Before You Eat Them You Won't Be Disappointed, I Use This Recipe Alot And I Can't Keep Enough In The House.

Just A Short Note The Fish Will Last For Months If Kept In The Fridge.

cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by North Star on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
saltfisher1
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
saltfisher1

Number of posts : 8362
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Pickled Pike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pickled Pike   Pickled Pike I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:50 pm

Sounds good tgo me!
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

Pickled Pike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pickled Pike   Pickled Pike I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 pm

You Can Use Any Kinda Fresh Water Fish For This, I Have Never Tried Carp Though So I Can't Tell You What That Would Be Like.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Pickled Pike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pickled Pike   Pickled Pike I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks Mike! I'll make my own pickled fish so it was very good taste!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pickled Pike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pickled Pike   Pickled Pike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pickled Pike
Page 1 of 1