BIG FISH MIDWEST
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG FISH MIDWEST

Midwest Fishing At It's Finest

HomeGallerySearchPortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When Fishing For Pike/Musky

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

When Fishing For Pike/Musky Empty
PostSubject: When Fishing For Pike/Musky   When Fishing For Pike/Musky I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:55 pm

When Fishing For Pike Or Musky It Is Always Important To Think Over The Equipment That Is Needed And What Other Pike/Musky Fisherman Use On A Daily Basis. Here Are A Few Things That You Should Look At When Going After That Fish Of A Life Time, After All When You Work As Hard As You Do To Get This Fish You Should Use The Right Tackle.

1). Always Ensure That You Have The Correct Tackle Necessary Before Starting To Fish For Pike/Musky, Especially A Large Landing Net, Forceps, Strong Wire Cutters, Scales And Weigh Sling It May Be Needed.

2).Wire Leaders Are Absolutely A Must For Pike Fishing - Even Small Pike Have Razor Sharp Teeth That Will Cut Though Ordinary Line Or Monofilament Leaders. For The Safety Of The Pike Your Leader Should Be At Least 15 Inches In Length Depending On Whether You Are Bait Or Lure Fishing. With The Wire Leaders That Are Available Today There Is No Need To Drop Below 28lb Breaking Strain.

3). Optional But Recommended When Fishing Pike/Musky On A Daily Or Regular Basis, The Use Of Barbless/
Barbed Hooks With The Bard Smashed Down With A Pliers. You Will Not Lose Fish, But Unhooking Will Be Easier And Quicker, Which Aids Pike Conservation In Keeping Them Healthy From Diseases From Open Wounds.

4). Line Strength Needs Careful Consideration And It Is Better To Opt Stronger Rather Than Lighter Line. A Main Line Of At Least 15lb Recommended If Using Nylon Monofilament, Or 30lb If Using Braided Line I Prefer To Use 20lb Or High When Targeting Pike/Musky .

5). Pike/Musky rods usually have a A Time And Place Of There Own Also, Use A Stout Med/Heavy Rod When Fishing Bait With Bobbers, (I Like A 8' Rod) And When Casting Heavy Lures. When Trolling I Like To Use A Heavy Rod But Only In A 6' Length Though I Have Used The 8' Footer For This And It Works Well Also.

6). Now You Will Need A Reliable Reel One That Holds At Least 300 Yards Of Your Chosen Line, When Choosing That Reel Be Sure That It Is Not Some Cheap Reel That Will Disappoint You When You Need It The Most. Read Up On It And Look Around For Information That Will Point You In The Right Direction To Catching That Fish Of A Life Time.

7). For Unhooking Pike You Should Have A pair Of Pliers, (Better Still To Have Two Pair In Case One Is Lost, It Does Happen). And A Good Strong-long-handled Pair Of Forceps. A Sufficiently Large Weigh Sling And Unhooking Mat, Or A Sling/Mat Combo, Complete The Basics.
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Muskyman
Half-Dollar
Half-Dollar
Muskyman

Number of posts : 2391
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: When Fishing For Pike/Musky   When Fishing For Pike/Musky I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Mike, thats really good info! It's same thing I did so I use 35lb test line with 36lb test wire leader with 6' rod for casting mostly.
Back to top Go down
North Star
Site owner
Site owner
North Star

Number of posts : 12875
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: When Fishing For Pike/Musky   When Fishing For Pike/Musky I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 3:35 pm

I Use This Way Of Fishing When I Went Out To Catch Nothing But Pike/Musky, If Used All The Time It's Just Another Day On The Lake Fishing. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://bigfishmidwest.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Fishing For Pike/Musky   When Fishing For Pike/Musky I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When Fishing For Pike/Musky
Page 1 of 1